Zage's "Everyday Adventures" - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:35 PM

Happy thread! Inspires me to try to take more photos of my dog.

Such fun at the beach.
When you cut to your Keeshond briefly, I was reminded of my mom at the beach...she and my aunt would sit away from the water, watching the “crazy young folks”!

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by readaboutdogs View Post
Great pics and video!! Love the paw prints in the sand!!!! wonderful times to share!!!
Thanks! I love seeing their prints in the sand - always a favorite picture to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
Happy thread! Inspires me to try to take more photos of my dog.

Such fun at the beach.
When you cut to your Keeshond briefly, I was reminded of my mom at the beach...she and my aunt would sit away from the water, watching the “crazy young folks”!
Thank you! We like collecting the happy memories. I take pictures pretty often, but still wish I had more of certain times. (especially as my older girl keeps getting up in years)

Lena still loooves to be included in our adventures, but definitely takes a more relaxed approach to it all. Not nearly so much frolicking in the water as when she was younger.

- Kayla

Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)
Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 12 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
― Dean Koontz
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mushing: Leader training!

One weekend in September, Zage and I took a trip a little ways north to attend a leader training (for mushing). With our biggest goal just being exposure to the mushing environment, and to let her experience any new things we could find!

Name:  IMG-2789.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  192.1 KB

The whole day really went well. Zage was acting comfortable enough (with all the noise and controlled chaos), that when offered, we took the chance to hook her up with an experienced team on a quad to run some trails. She ran quite nicely, for her first time on a team. After a little while figuring it out, she dropped her head and tail (signs of "clocking in").

Name:  IMG-2808.JPG
Size:  187.4 KB

Since that initial run was so successful, we did briefly venture out later with her solo in harness attached to my bike. For her first time being solo and actually pulling (instead of heeling with the bike), we had a decent run. (my poor sense of direction didn't help matters)

And of course, we had a quiet ride home as we were both quite tired!

Name:  IMG-2816.JPG
Size:  152.6 KB

- Kayla

Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)

― Dean Koontz

Last edited by Mesonoxian; 03-09-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added video! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:02 PM

She looks like she had a busy day! :-)

I am curious...
did you see any difference in outlook/pulling drive/enjoyment between your GSD and those huskies (who are born & bred to it)?

( I have a shepherd/husky mix...but he doesn't seem to enjoy pulling/running...he likes to track and sniff and use his nose a lot...)

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
She looks like she had a busy day! :-)

I am curious...
did you see any difference in outlook/pulling drive/enjoyment between your GSD and those huskies (who are born & bred to it)?

( I have a shepherd/husky mix...but he doesn't seem to enjoy pulling/running...he likes to track and sniff and use his nose a lot...)
There is definitely a difference! The huskies I know personally (and others that I've met at events and trainings), both Siberian and Alaskan, do have a genetic drive for the pulling. That is their purpose, and they live for it! If you ever have a chance to attend a race, it's so cool to see those dogs light up when they see the chance that they may get to go run with their musher.

I do know quite a few other shepherds who also mush; two teams in particular I've met and seen run multiple times (with multiple shepherds).

I can only speak to my experience with Zage, because as with all dogs, they're each their own self.

Zage is higher energy, and likes to run (just for the sake of running). It took her a couple times out
and working to start to figure out what I wanted. She worked solo with me, just pulling a small weight on her tugline attached to the harness; we worked just on a collar with the bike; on foot and on wheels working on driving commands; and then she had that run on the quad with a very experienced team before we ever did harness work with a bike.

After a few times out, she understood that she was not only allowed, but supposed to pull! (going out with other dogs definitely sped up this process) Zage likes to pull, but there is a marked difference from the very drivey huskies I've seen (they do vary in pull drive).

Now that she knows what the harness and lines mean (and even my usual joring pants!), Zage also gets pumped and very ready to go, but it's expressed differently and on a different level than most huskies I've seen.

So there's my not-so-short answer!

- Kayla

Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)

― Dean Koontz

Last edited by Mesonoxian; 03-10-2019 at 11:56 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Romping in the yard

Though we had a very wet fall overall, we also had many, many beautiful days. One lovely afternoon in October, we spent all afternoon in the backyard - I was mostly reading, while Zage and Lena patrolled the area and tracked the squirrels and birds.

The sunshine made it easy to get some colorful pictures, too!

Name:  IMG-2880.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  190.3 KB

Name:  IMG-2910.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  148.8 KB
GSDchoice likes this.

- Kayla

Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)

― Dean Koontz
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

Well that sure had to be a lot of fun! Enjoyed your photos!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesonoxian View Post
There is definitely a difference! The huskies I know personally (and others that I've met at events and trainings), both Siberian and Alaskan, do have a genetic drive for the pulling. That is their purpose, and they live for it! If you ever have a chance to attend a race, it's so cool to see those dogs light up when they see the chance that they may get to go run with their musher...So there's my not-so-short answer!
This is very interesting to me! Thanks for the long answer!

I have always been curious about the Husky in my dog, but I have not seen much of it...so far, the only thing I am grateful for is that he has the husky coat-blow pattern (3-4 weeks of Fur Storm, followed by periods of no shedding). I would love to go see Mushing races sometime, I'll have to look for some in our area! :-)

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Life in autumn: 2018

Just a few pictures of everyday life from the autumn of 2018.

Zage asking for some head scratches in the car.
Name:  IMG-2842.JPG
Views: 8
Size:  94.8 KB

Zage and Lena on "kitchen patrol" (who needs a vacuum or kitchen mop when you have service like this?)
Name:  IMG-3062.JPG
Size:  111.0 KB

When a patch of sun appears... basking and napping is a must!
Name:  IMG-3138.JPG
Size:  78.9 KB

- Kayla

Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)

― Dean Koontz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page