Mei - Page 17 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 84Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 316 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOzzy2018 View Post
Hit the be send button too soon..... I am not at all opposed to our door kennels, I have one but I would never leave Ozzy alone in the kennel when we are not home. Too many bad things can happen. Just my own opinion. Safer in the crate bored then hurt or die in a kennel. Just my opinion
@BigOzzy2018 , What would a danger be being in the large kennel? I would make sure there's nothing for her to possibly chew/choke on. We have an unfinished basement I can put it in or I was even thinking the garage since it's fairly large enough. Can easily fit like a 10' x 10'. Either or, I'd also probably spray for spiders too. A neighbor has an outdoor kennel that's pretty nice and their golden retriever got bit by a hobo spider. He's fine now, so that's good!

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018

Last edited by Mei; 08-23-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 316 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 03:50 PM

You never know what could happen, dog stolen, poisoned, teased by kids etc.
post #163 of 316 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Crowned Member

I have kennels in my basement and that is where my dogs go when they are alone. I used to keep boarder dogs down there too and some would chew my chain link kennels so I got a Lucky Dog 4x8 and put the bad ones in there. Nobody ever damaged the lucky dog. Now I have even heavier duty ones than that but those aren't practical for just one person's dog. You can get a Lucky Dog at TSC.

I like that my dogs can stretch, move around, get a drink, lay on the concrete if they are hot or the bed. My younger dog totally prefers his kennel to a crate. He pretty much only gets crated in the truck anymore.

I would not leave a dog kenneled outside some places, but my own backyard I would. It can't be seen from the road and we just don't live in a place where people would come bother the dogs. I can't see my neighbors anyway, we are in the middle of the woods basically. Nobody would know they were there, so very unlikely that anyone would bother them

I think an indoor kennel is a great alternative to a crate if you have the room to put one up. The dog can have some safe toys, chews, & water. And the lucky dog is way sturdier than any wire crate for dogs who want to bust out

Last edited by Thecowboysgirl; 08-23-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 316 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOzzy2018 View Post
You never know what could happen, dog stolen, poisoned, teased by kids etc.
Great points. More reason to probably do one in the basement.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #165 of 316 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
I have kennels in my basement and that is where my dogs go when they are alone. I used to keep boarder dogs down there too and some would chew my chain link kennels so I got a Lucky Dog 4x8 and put the bad ones in there. Nobody ever damaged the lucky dog. Now I have even heavier duty ones than that but those aren't practical for just one person's dog. You can get a Lucky Dog at TSC.

I like that my dogs can stretch, move around, get a drink, lay on the concrete if they are hot or the bed. My younger dog totally prefers his kennel to a crate. He pretty much only gets crated in the truck anymore.

I would not leave a dog kenneled outside some places, but my own backyard I would. It can't be seen from the road and we just don't live in a place where people would come bother the dogs. I can't see my neighbors anyway, we are in the middle of the woods basically. Nobody would know they were there, so very unlikely that anyone would bother them

I think an indoor kennel is a great alternative to a crate if you have the room to put one up. The dog can have some safe toys, chews, & water. And the lucky dog is way sturdier than any wire crate for dogs who want to bust out
Awesome. I'll probably go with the basement then.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #166 of 316 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
Awesome. I'll probably go with the basement then.
If I were you I'd probably get the heaviest gauge welded wire you can afford from Tractor Supply. You can get the kennel in a box chain link for cheap but it's crap and if the dog wants to wreck it, they will. I think you said your dog busted out of the crate, so I wouldn't fool with cheap chain link.

When I put that Lucky Dog up it was for my tough customers so my husband bolted it to the floor so no one could hit the panels and move it around. We also reinforced it with a piece of 2x4 across the top also so if the dogs slammed the wall of the kennel they could not move it, I think it might be attached to a support beam somehow too. I'd have to go look at it.
post #167 of 316 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:26 PM

We will be putting the outdoor kennel in the basement this winter.
post #168 of 316 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

@Thecowboysgirl, I went to the tractor trailer supply store and had them order a 10'x5'. It's the nice thicker black powder coated strong one like the lucky boy brand. This one is the retriever brand. They had a 10x10 outside and it felt/seems pretty strong. Hopefully comes in next week.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #169 of 316 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
@Thecowboysgirl, I went to the tractor trailer supply store and had them order a 10'x5'. It's the nice thicker black powder coated strong one like the lucky boy brand. This one is the retriever brand. They had a 10x10 outside and it felt/seems pretty strong. Hopefully comes in next week.
I haven't used that brand and i dont know what gauge it is but sounds like a good choice. My boy's house kennel is 4x9 and I have others that are 5x10, it's a good roomy size, fit a xxl kuranda and plenty of room to spare. The shape of chain link is much more chew friendly in my experience than the 2x4 welded wire.

A happy dog is always going to behave better...if your dog isn't used to the basement I'd acclimate her slowly and positively to it. My dogs love their kennels and when I take them to the door to go downstairs they run down and put themselves away in their own spots and I just go shut the gates.

Well, my boy also loves the grooming table so half the time I come down and he is on the table and then I have to tell him it is kennel not grooming time lol.

I do run a heater for them in the winter. It stays about 50 down there in the winter which is colder than they would really like for a long nap. I am sure a shepherd could acclimate to that fine but mine are in normal house temps 90% of time and sleep in bed with us at night.

I do love that it is cool in summer and i have no worry of if the power went out or ac failed,the dogs would be fine. It never gets to a life threatening temp down there even if everything failed and I was gone 8 hrs which I never am.
post #170 of 316 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Took her to the wilderness. Found an antler shed too!Mei-20180825_074309_1535215665243.jpgMei-20180825_104404_1535215677024.jpgMei-20180825_073707_1535215699066.jpg
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page