Our Sheba and her parents... - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 72Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
camperbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Fogo Island, Newfoundland (Canada)
Posts: 431
Today is week #21 and Sheba has gained another pound and a half, so she now weighs 49 lbs. It looks like she will be a bit above 50 lbs by five months old. (next Friday) I haven't checked her height yet... she doesn't like the tape measure, and no matter how sneaky I am, she knows that I'm trying to measure her!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

...WEEK.......... DATE.............WEIGHT............ GAIN...

Week 07: (Sept 30/2017).....11.9 lbs........... *******
Week 08: (Oct 07/2017)...... 14.0 lbs........... 2.1 lbs.
Week 09: (Oct 14/2017)...... 16.7 lbs........... 2.7 lbs.
Week 10: (Oct 21/2017)...... 19.5 lbs........... 2.8 lbs.
Week 11: (Oct 28/2017)...... 22.5 lbs........... 3.0 lbs.
Week 12: (Nov 04/2017)..... 27.0 lbs........... 4.5 lbs.
Week 13: (Nov 11/2017)......30.0 lbs........... 3.0 lbs.
Week 14: (Nov 18/2017)..... 32.0 lbs........... 2.0 lbs.
Week 15: (Nov 25/2017)..... 34.5 lbs........... 2.5 lbs.
Week 16: (Dec 02/2017)..... 38.0 lbs........... 3.5 lbs.
Week 17: (Dec 09/2017)..... 42.5 lbs........... 4.5 lbs.
Week 18: (Dec 16/2017)..... 43.5 lbs........... 1.0 lbs.
Week 19: (Dec 23/2017)..... 45.0 lbs........... 1.5 lbs.
Week 20: (Dec 30/2017)..... 47.5 lbs........... 2.5 lbs.
Week 21: (Jan 06/2018)..... 49.0 lbs........... 1.5 lbs.


1 Month: (Sept 12/2017)...... 8.0 lbs........... 8.0 lbs. (approx)
2 Months: (Oct 12/2017).....16.5 lbs........... 8.5 lbs.
3 Months: (Nov 12/2017)... 31.0 lbs..........14.5 lbs.
4 Months: (Dec 12/2017)... 43.0 lbs..........12.0 lbs.
5 Months: (Jan 12/2018)...


HEIGHT AT WITHERS:

Oct 14/2017: 15.0"
Oct 21/2017: 15.5"
Oct 28/2017: 16.0"
Nov 4/2017: 16.6"
Nov 11/2017: 17.2"
Nov 18/2017: 18.0"
Nov 25/2017: 18.5"
Dec 2/2017: 18.75"
Dec 9/2017: 19.0"
Dec 16/2017: 22.0"
Dec 23/2017: 22.0"
Dec 30/2017: 22.0"

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
camperbc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member
 
wolfy dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 9,364
OP, to me this behavior is nothing to laugh at. She needs help with this fear.
ksotto333 likes this.
wolfy dog is offline  
post #103 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 03:23 PM
Master Member
 
Armistice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
For an emergency doggie bathroom, you mean? No, we're not allowed to connect a shed to the house; can only build a shed a minimum of 6 feet away from any other structure.
Yup, that's what I was thinking of. Something with dirt or grass to it'd be more normal that going on a pad thing. Have you looked into the fake grass area thing? Would be more expensive than pads, but might feel more normal for Sheba

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
I haven't checked her height yet... she doesn't like the tape measure, and no matter how sneaky I am, she knows that I'm trying to measure her!
Odd, Zoe doesn't care for my method of measuring either. I use a straight edge and a combo square, so looks more foreboding that just a tape. What I did last time was just have it out, and have her some treats and was eventually able to get her to take a treat from my hand as I measured her

@wolfy dog what fear? Fear of going outside in 100mph winds or of the the tape measure?
Armistice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #104 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
camperbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Fogo Island, Newfoundland (Canada)
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
OP, to me this behavior is nothing to laugh at. She needs help with this fear.
Wolfy dog, if it's any consolation, delivery drivers have come to our door three more times since, and everything went great. She very quickly learned that she doesn't have to fear "strangers" at our door. So please don't worry about Sheba; she is doing just fine. Better than fine. In fact she has far better manners/temperment/intelligence, etc than any dog (puppy or adult) that I have seen in my over half century with dogs. (including GSDs)

I read a constant barrage of posts (on various forums, FB groups, etc) about so many GSDs with severe behavioral issues... even biting family members, attacking neighbour's pets, eating sofas, flooring, cabinetry, car interiors, pretty much everything in site. I can't help but think that we should be more concerned about these dogs, than of Sheba's being afraid of someone. I only wish that you could meet our wonderful dog... I know that you would instantly see that she is as close to perfect as you could ever imagine a dog being.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
wolfy dog likes this.

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
camperbc is offline  
post #105 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
camperbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Fogo Island, Newfoundland (Canada)
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
Yup, that's what I was thinking of. Something with dirt or grass to it'd be more normal that going on a pad thing. Have you looked into the fake grass area thing? Would be more expensive than pads, but might feel more normal for Sheba. Odd, Zoe doesn't care for my method of measuring either. I use a straight edge and a combo square, so looks more foreboding that just a tape. What I did last time was just have it out, and have her some treats and was eventually able to get her to take a treat from my hand as I measured her.
@wolfy dog what fear? Fear of going outside in 100mph winds or of the the tape measure?
Armistice, I think Sheba would have no issue with using a pee pad if it were necessary, so I'm not concerned. The good news is the huge blizzard was a bust... we got just a dusting of snow and winds of only about 70 kph, so she had no problems at all.

Regarding wolfy dog's comment, I assume it was directed to how Sheba got scared of the delivery guy at the door. Apparently didn't find it very amusing. Anyhow, as I just posted a moment ago, she is already used to people coming to the door, so we must be doing something right.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
wolfy dog likes this.

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
camperbc is offline  
post #106 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 03:50 PM
Master Member
 
Armistice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
I read a constant barrage of posts (on various forums, FB groups, etc) about so many GSDs with severe behavioral issues... even biting family members, attacking neighbour's pets, eating sofas, flooring, cabinetry, car interiors, pretty much everything in site.
I have read similar things with chewing up EVERYTHING. Little tornadoes. I'm glad mine doesn't do anything close to that. Worse thing she's done is the cheapo rugs sometimes get caught up while she's chewing a toy and then pulls a run in the rug. No biggie, they were like $8 from Costco. We'll replace them when she's older

She did mouth the chair/ table legs when she was really young. A few "NO!"s and give her a toy and she hasn't done that in a looong time

Not sure if we lucked out or just did enough homework to get a GSD that was right for us or that I'm home all day to watch her... maybe a combo of everything

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Armistice, I think Sheba would have no issue with using a pee pad if it were necessary, so I'm not concerned. The good news is the huge blizzard was a bust... we got just a dusting of snow and winds of only about 70 kph, so she had no problems at all.

Regarding wolfy dog's comment, I assume it was directed to how Sheba got scared of the delivery guy at the door. Apparently didn't find it very amusing. Anyhow, as I just posted a moment ago, she is already used to people coming to the door, so we must be doing something right.
Good about the no-blizzard

And yah, I read what you wrote and realized that's what he was talking about
Armistice is offline  
post #107 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
camperbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Fogo Island, Newfoundland (Canada)
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
I have read similar things with chewing up EVERYTHING. Little tornadoes. I'm glad mine doesn't do anything close to that... Not sure if we lucked out or just did enough homework to get a GSD that was right for us or that I'm home all day to watch her... maybe a combo of everything
Armistice, I am home all day also, and I too, firmly believe that having at least one of us around all the time is the secret to a happy, well-behaved dog. Well this, and doing a ton of homework before getting a puppy, just as you stated above. Before a permanent spinal injury forced me into early retirement, (bad fall in the workplace 13 years ago) we chose to work on opposite shifts while the kids were growing up, so that one of us was always at home with them... and with the dogs. Well, the kids and the dogs turned out great!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
camperbc is offline  
post #108 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
camperbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Fogo Island, Newfoundland (Canada)
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
Odd, Zoe doesn't care for my method of measuring either. I use a straight edge and a combo square, so looks more foreboding that just a tape. What I did last time was just have it out, and have her some treats and was eventually able to get her to take a treat from my hand as I measured her.
Well, Sheba finally decided that she wanted to get measured this evening. She has gained half an inch and now stands 22.5 inches. I haven't been able to locate a height chart, so I don't know if this is close to normal for a 21-week-old. I assume that as she is somewhat above the average weight, (yet very trim) that she's quite possibly taller than average too, but I am only guessing.

Looking back over the past few months of Sheba's weekly weigh-in numbers, I am not quite so convinced that she will end up all that enormous as an adult. She remains about 7 lbs above average, though in the past 4 weeks has only gained 6.5 lbs, (way down from a 12.5 lb gain in the previous 4 weeks, and an almost 14 lb increase in the 4 weeks before that) so I'm thinking that she may have simply had a quick start out of the gate and it all evens out in the end? But I suppose she could experience another period of rapid growth yet. Hard to say, and only time will tell, but it will certainly be interesting to see how your growth chart will look in the coming weeks/months!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
camperbc is offline  
post #109 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:28 PM
Master Member
 
Armistice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Armistice, I am home all day also, and I too, firmly believe that having at least one of us around all the time is the secret to a happy, well-behaved dog. Well this, and doing a ton of homework before getting a puppy, just as you stated above. Before a permanent spinal injury forced me into early retirement, (bad fall in the workplace 13 years ago) we chose to work on opposite shifts while the kids were growing up, so that one of us was always at home with them... and with the dogs. Well, the kids and the dogs turned out great!
I wonder if having a person around all day to glom onto keeps destruction at bay. That and you can give a yell if they're doing something wrong to correct the behavior right there rather than them allowed to do it while no one is home. It rids that behavior faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Well, Sheba finally decided that she wanted to get measured this evening. She has gained half an inch and now stands 22.5 inches. I haven't been able to locate a height chart, so I don't know if this is close to normal for a 21-week-old. I assume that as she is somewhat above the average weight, (yet very trim) that she's quite possibly taller than average too, but I am only guessing.
There's a thread in the Development section of the forums. I could pull those people's numbers and make another graph. Off the first page, it seems that 20-23" was what many people were seeing at 5mos
Armistice is offline  
post #110 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
camperbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Fogo Island, Newfoundland (Canada)
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
I wonder if having a person around all day to glom onto keeps destruction at bay. That and you can give a yell if they're doing something wrong to correct the behavior right there rather than them allowed to do it while no one is home. It rids that behavior faster. There's a thread in the Development section of the forums. I could pull those people's numbers and make another graph. Off the first page, it seems that 20-23" was what many people were seeing at 5mos
Agreed, Armistice. They are easier to teach when you're always right there to make any corrections before their behaviors become a habit.

Sheba is five months old today! And it seems that she's on another growth spurt, having gained three pounds in just 6 days. She now weighs 52 lbs. (though tomorrow is her official weekly weigh-in day)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland


...WEEK.......... DATE.............WEIGHT............ GAIN...

Week 07: (Sept 30/2017).....11.9 lbs........... *******
Week 08: (Oct 07/2017)...... 14.0 lbs........... 2.1 lbs.
Week 09: (Oct 14/2017)...... 16.7 lbs........... 2.7 lbs.
Week 10: (Oct 21/2017)...... 19.5 lbs........... 2.8 lbs.
Week 11: (Oct 28/2017)...... 22.5 lbs........... 3.0 lbs.
Week 12: (Nov 04/2017)..... 27.0 lbs........... 4.5 lbs.
Week 13: (Nov 11/2017)......30.0 lbs........... 3.0 lbs.
Week 14: (Nov 18/2017)..... 32.0 lbs........... 2.0 lbs.
Week 15: (Nov 25/2017)..... 34.5 lbs........... 2.5 lbs.
Week 16: (Dec 02/2017)..... 38.0 lbs........... 3.5 lbs.
Week 17: (Dec 09/2017)..... 42.5 lbs........... 4.5 lbs.
Week 18: (Dec 16/2017)..... 43.5 lbs........... 1.0 lbs.
Week 19: (Dec 23/2017)..... 45.0 lbs........... 1.5 lbs.
Week 20: (Dec 30/2017)..... 47.5 lbs........... 2.5 lbs.
Week 21: (Jan 06/2018)..... 49.0 lbs........... 1.5 lbs.


1 Month: (Sept 12/2017)...... 8.0 lbs........... 8.0 lbs. (approx)
2 Months: (Oct 12/2017).....16.5 lbs........... 8.5 lbs.
3 Months: (Nov 12/2017)... 31.0 lbs......... 14.5 lbs.
4 Months: (Dec 12/2017)... 43.0 lbs......... 12.0 lbs.
5 Months: (Jan 12/2018)... 52.0 lbs........... 9.0 lbs.


HEIGHT AT WITHERS:

Oct 14/2017... 15.0"
Oct 21/2017... 15.5"
Oct 28/2017... 16.0"
Nov 4/2017.... 16.6"
Nov 11/2017.. 17.2"
Nov 18/2017.. 18.0"
Nov 25/2017.. 18.5"
Dec 2/2017.. 18.75"
Dec 9/2017.... 19.0"
Dec 16/2017.. 22.0"
Dec 23/2017.. 22.0"
Dec 30/2017.. 22.0"
Jan 06/2018.. 22.5"

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
camperbc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome