Doc-SDA training Control Work - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Doc-SDA training Control Work

Here are a couple of Bogies Dad, Doc. It has been a long struggle getting contol on him in bitework but we are finally doing it. I obtained him when he was older and had been sold a couple of times.

He's a neat dog, and his training issues are man made in my opinion, and I have certainly added to them. But we do seem to be on the right track now.

Doc's version of being neutral until given the command.

The command. Doc's first time on a suit, he was kind of like "Where's the jute???"

And then the hard part--after agitation being his version of a good boy again. We spend a lot of time on this one.......<roll eyes>

My version of the evil eye, telling him you may look, looking is good, but don't you dare move that butt....

Betty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Doc-SDA training Control Work

Oh Betty you can tell he is really struggling trying to stay under control, but he is trying really hard. Good pictures. Just curious how long have you been working with him to overcome his past?

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Seems like a lifetime Val. I've gotten very familiar with one step forward and a whole bunch back.....

He's a lot of dog, and needs a much better handler then I am. But we are kind of stuck with each other, put up with each other, and work around each other's faults.

He's a hard dominant dog and I suspect was sold for issues with Handler aggression. I've heard whispers and as we added more and more compulsion in bite work had a first hand glimpse of it myself. I've pretty much made every mistake in the book with him.

Backed way up and started foundation work with him like he was a puppy and switched most of the commands. I use more English now with him then German. Started working him with a decoy in prey only, we were making progress and the decoy was injured. <Not by a dog>

So we spent a few more months doing lots of ob! Lots of silly stuff like him in a down and me and someone else playing catch with a sleeve. Him heeling and someone throwing a sleeve. Basically things I could do alone or with minimal help.

He can be a very frustrating dog but we are making a lot of progress with him. And he will take fair corrections from me so I figure life is good. In ob he is soft to me and becoming more so in protection. Several times he has outed now just with me saying his name and tapping his collar. More of a reminder like hey, dufas, remember me, type of thing. Never, never, thought I would see that.
He is a good house dog and companion. He lives with my parents down the road and they are in their 70's.

We had two heavy days of ob with him this weekend. New field, his decoy was on the field with other intact dogs and he did a poor to fair heeling pattern the first time and much better the second time. We did a lot of heeling around the decoy with and without a sleeve and without a pattern not so good but workable.

We will be doing a lot of this in the future and I'm feeling fairly good about it.

My decoy/trainer is great. He spends a lot of time with me and not only are my dogs walking off the field learning something, I am. The man has the patience of a Saint.

When I train his son, it kind of tugs at my heart. Bogie is what Doc should of been, could of been. We did that.

And that is just too sad for words.

Betty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

Least you had a good idea of what to expect with watching Will with Brix. I know how frustrating it can be, and handler aggression issues. I so wish I had gotten him as a pup. Looks like you're doing great with him!!! He didnt move!!

Betty, clear out your pm box!!!

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

Betty don't be sad. Doc could have ended up in many many places where he wouldn't get the chance to try to be better. Better isn't really the right word. But look at it this way, I am sure you have learned so much by trying to work with him to help him over come his past training. I will bet that he has taught you a lot about patience. I think Doc is happy being in the situation he is, otherwise he wouldn't have softened up to you.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 PM
dOg
Elite Member

Pat yourself on the back for me Betty!
Ear scratches to him, too.
Your parents are lucky and safe due to your efforts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yep, not only that but it is desirable for him to keep the decoy in his sight! Much more suited for Personal Protection! LOL

I think watching Will and some of the other guys work dogs like him worked against me. They made it look easy. I forgot they have been doing this for 20 years and are a heck of a lot better then I ever will be.

We are getting there. You should see the looks he gives me when the decoy walks by him literally brushing him with the sleeve or jacket. He really gives me the puppy look like "This is just not fair!"

Baby steps.

Betty

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

lol

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know all the story, but what a handsome dog he is. Good Luck with him!!

TAMMY
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Master Member

Great pics...

~Rachel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page