3Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog
  • 1 Post By jobailey32
  • 1 Post By jobailey32

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

PPD Search for Oregon

Hey all!

Plenty of lurking, plenty of searching for folks who are reputable breeders and/or PPD trainers in the US. I would love to find a pooch in Oregon, or at least West Coast US if that works out, I tend to have a soft spot for "dealing locally". Now, that said, after all the searching I have done, it does look like I will not be able to drive down the road in Portland and find a PPD trained GSD any time soon.

If anybody out here does know of good folks on the West Coast, I would love to hear it. I have two daughters, 5 and 6, wife, and two older women who visit my home often. the most important thing is temperament and how the dog deals with my family. I obviously want a dog for protection, but not if it means i cannot let my 6 year old pet him.

Couple questions since you folks will likely know better than me

1. should I go PPD or Guard Dog? My ultimate goal here, is to reduce firearm presence in my family. There will continue to be one loaded firearm, but I want it to be for extreme back up situations, not first option. That makes me lean toward PPD, but then I run into the family fun vs. protection aspect of owning a GSD.

2. anybody in the Pacific North West have experience purchasing/owning a PPD? Looking for any and all tips I can get.

3. What is the difference between a 10,000 USD PPD and a 70,000 USD PPD?? I am seeing such a crazy price scale, it is hard to nail down what is considered "normal". I am watching vids of some 10k PPDs and they look fantastic, attentive, listen to all commands/signals, great bite and release, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

I sent you a PM. Not sure if it went through though.
jobailey32 likes this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 06-18-2018 at 06:13 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I sent you a PM. Not sure if it went through though.
Thank you Wolfydog for the recommendation. I replied but due to my newb status I think I need a few more posts before you will get that thank you response from me.
wolfy dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

You all have been pretty awesome so far in PMs to help me find someone close-ish, thanks!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Anybody have any thoughts on why I SHOULDN'T get a PPD? I am not seeing the downside, but I am also looking through rose colored glasses right now and want to ensure I think about the potential Cons of the situation as well
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

Have you considered the ongoing need for training? You will need to keep up with training for the life of the dog otherwise it may become a liability.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Have you considered the ongoing need for training? You will need to keep up with training for the life of the dog otherwise it may become a liability.
Good point. Definitely something I have considered and looked into, there are a few good training spots nearby me in the Portland metro area, one which specifically trains in personal protection and IPO, PSA, etc. and there are two PSA clubs in Washington that are only two hours away in case I do decide to take part in some sort of sporting event as well.

totally agree though, if someone were to let those skills go, a PPD could probably turn into a right nightmare. I hope to be able to work the dog in some type of competition at some point, but at the very least I would ensure he receive proper ongoing training. Heck I do ongoing training and I am just a CPA, haha
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Well, I wasn't able to find someone local in Oregon, much to my dismay. There were a few folks nearby(ish) that just didnt work out, but for other folks looking, try Schillings Law Dogs (Oregon) or Crystal LeJeune (Washington State), they were both great just didn't work out.

I ended up getting really interested in the PSA side of things, and decided to get a dog from the guy who invented the sport a little under 20 years ago, Jerry Bradshaw. We are very early in the process, but he has been awesome to work with so far. Really cares about the dogs, is a genius with dog training (also was an Economics PhD back in the day). writes a lot of articles, and does a ton of seminars teaching about training.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:18 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

That's great that you are getting involved in PSA! Best way to learn about protection dogs and protection dog training and handling.

Have fun, learn lots, and share your progress.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Meet Reef! He is 14 months old and about 60 lbs currently, will be approximately 6 more months of training in North Carolina, then he and the trainers will be at my house for delivery! Excited

Attached Images

cloudpump likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page