Do they change after protection work experience? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Do they change after protection work experience?

I am curious if your dogs' perceptions of strangers have changed after they 'tasted' protection work? Deja is neutral towards strangers but she does keep a more alert attitude if we are on trails where we only meet the occasional hiker or mountain biker. But she doesn't act on it. She doesn't have any experience in protection work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 03:11 PM
Knighted Member

The only difference I noticed in my boy was that he seemed to gain confidence from it. We did what I refer to as “IPO-lite” with him... he’s nervy and doesn’t have what it takes for the sport, but the bitework he did translated to more confidence when out and about. He is not a dog for petting, but it did not make him any more suspicious of neutral or friendly strangers when in public.

My girl started doing age appropriate bitework exercises when she was a puppy, so it’s all she’s ever known. She is neutral to strangers, but is social enough to accept an errant petting by kids or strangers. She is not suspicious of friendly or neutral strangers. She can go anywhere.
wolfy dog and RoseW like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Crowned Member

I think it depends. Overall, I would say it has not affected Seger outside of the sport. He knows the protection game vs obedience vs life.

I did notice him ramp up in his territorial behavior to anyone in my space when we were specifically doing table work and working him in defense only. I think that lack of balance with prey combined with teaching him to drive away sketchy acting people brought out a side of him that was always there but he didn't use. Gave him the confidence to act on that.

It really boils down to obedience and social manners. They will do what you allow them to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Knighted Member

I will add that my social and friendly goober of a dog is still social and friendly. Oh, and still acts like a goof ball

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 04:36 PM
Knighted Member

Athena never changed towards strangers. Where I noticed a change in her was she didn't have the desire to bite things she shouldn't bite. Like there was a primal need being satisfied all of a sudden.
Of course confidence and stability. But, I also attribute the stability and confidence to training of all phases of IPO.
Castlemaid and GypsyGhost like this.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 04:51 PM
Knighted Member

Heck, no! She still loves everybody, and when I take her out of the car for protection, she wants to say 'hello' to all of them.

One thing that really made me laugh was last summer, she went over to a sleeve that was lying on the ground, sniffed it and wagged her tail!

However, every dog is different. We had a dog at our club that would go off on the decoy even when he wasn't wearing protection gear!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
However, every dog is different. We had a dog at our club that would go off on the decoy even when he wasn't wearing protection gear!
Last year while preparing for her BH Athena and myself were out on the field going through the routine. Our helper of the time just happened to be there so when a group was needed he walked out with the others. Athena seen him standing there and was genuinely confused. She definitely lost her focus on me and was all like what is he doing and can I bite him. First time she seen him on the actual field when it wasn't bite time.
Luckily he wasn't on the group list trial day.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Elite Member

I feel like my male is a littlle more confident and assertive. But that might mostly be from maturity.
car2ner likes this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 08:51 PM

I think that in general, a dog that does well in protection sports has the confidence to do well out and about. IPO bite work is geared not only to biting but NOT biting, also holding, barking, watching, following directions, waiting and searching. OK, searching not so much since the helper is almost always in the same blind.
Cassidy's Mom likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Elite Member

I only do protection work to build my dog's courage and confidence. It hasn't changed her happy, social demeanor one bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page