• 5 Post By voodoolamb
  • 1 Post By girardid
  • 4 Post By Sabis mom
  • 4 Post By Jenny720
  • 4 Post By NerdicEclipse

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

PPD -working or herding ?

New to the forum. I have Black Russian Terrier and it's a great dog with 'build in' protection instincts. Very reliable, social enough, good with kids and another dogs and I trust my dog. BRT will never chase anything, always stay close to me, doesnt need any fence and all she cares is me!

But ...She is getting old and I think to have GSD or another breed next.

Here is the question : Why dog from the herding group will be best PPD? Why not to go with cane corso or doberman or another BRT?
Is it because GSD are so 'universal and smart so we can train them to do anything?

Thanks for advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:07 AM

they were originally herders but are not very well suited to the task anymore. A well bred working gsd will be very different from the border collies australian shepherds or australian cattle dogs. THe have much less nerve now and the grip are genetic to be full and deep as opposed to shallow nipping style of true herding dogs. This is not to say there are no gsd that can do herding. IT is just not very common anymore to see a farm tat a gsd or pair of them works a large amount of sheep everyday
Tulip likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girardid View Post
they were originally herders but are not very well suited to the task anymore. A well bred working gsd will be very different from the border collies australian shepherds or australian cattle dogs. THe have much less nerve now and the grip are genetic to be full and deep as opposed to shallow nipping style of true herding dogs. This is not to say there are no gsd that can do herding. IT is just not very common anymore to see a farm tat a gsd or pair of them works a large amount of sheep everyday
GSDs while herding breeds NEVER were bred to have the herding style of collies, aussies or cattle dogs. They are tending dogs The full and deep grip you are discussing is a trait stemming from their tending style herding ancestry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 02:21 PM

@voodoolamb thanks for clarifying i was hoping someone with more herding knowledge then me would chime in
Tulip likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

' shallow nipping style of true herding dogs' - long time ago my parents had GSD and he was circling around me and my friends doing exactly that!
I guess he had very strong herding instinct because he never was trained to do that and we lived in the big city.

So how can i avoid to have herding instinct in the puppy? Look at parents? Select from working or show line?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julbars View Post
New to the forum. I have Black Russian Terrier and it's a great dog with 'build in' protection instincts. Very reliable, social enough, good with kids and another dogs and I trust my dog. BRT will never chase anything, always stay close to me, doesnt need any fence and all she cares is me!

But ...She is getting old and I think to have GSD or another breed next.

Here is the question : Why dog from the herding group will be best PPD? Why not to go with cane corso or doberman or another BRT?
Is it because GSD are so 'universal and smart so we can train them to do anything?

Thanks for advise.
The GSD truly is the ultimate dog. The herding heritage that they possess gives them a vast array of tools to pull from that make them well suited for protection work. The need to watch over those in their care is inherent, also the tenacity and courage to ward off intruders and the patience to handle bumbling, curious youngsters while forgiving the incidental trespasses. The natural discernment to recognize an intrusion or threat and the instinct to be pushy and unmoving with the flock when necessary. The loyalty to stand with their herd for as long as it takes and the intelligence to seek safer pastures as required. The ability to work as a team with the shepherd and the understanding that even the shepherd needs a companion and guardian sometimes.
The thing about GSD's is that they work best as partners, not subordinates. They were bred to be intelligent, loyal, courageous and strong. All wasted if we view them merely as dogs and equipment.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:15 AM
Crowned Member

I enjoy the herding instinct and natural protective instinct in the gsd. The strong need to be with the family. The ultimate dog I enjoyed Sabis description. So true. I'm pretty sure it is why they are my favorite breed. My twin 2 year old nephews were over today and Max and Luna looked like they were on the clock all day. It was there little flock today. Watching over them making sure they did not stray to far. Very careful not to knock anyone over. Luna did not leave them once- They were checking in on us humans making sure we all were paying attention. They both took a 10 minute nap after they left! Lol!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216_1504508851294.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	442993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200_1504508903654.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	443001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167_1504509132762.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	443017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205_1504509830581.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	443049  
Aly, Tulip, RZZNSTR and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 09-04-2017 at 03:24 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
The thing about GSD's is that they work best as partners, not subordinates. They were bred to be intelligent, loyal, courageous and strong. All wasted if we view them merely as dogs and equipment.
This. Whether you're looking for protection, herding or even just a good family pet they thrive when they're treated as equals and worked with constantly. I've been hooked after my first. I've never had a dog that learns so fast and so easily. Most dogs I've had in the past are by no means dumb but they really aren't that interested in learning and working. A GSD will stick to your side and observe everything you say and do. They crave learning things and they are so happy when they see that they please you. They actually end up ultimately able to make very good choices on their own if they're taught right and that's one reason they seem to be so good at all the jobs we humans give them in modern times. But on the other hand, the people who have a style of training for a bit and then putting the dog outside the rest of the day or in a crate/left to their own devices at home seem to have entirely opposite results. They're truly not a dog to get if you're looking for a play fetch and forget it type of relationship. They need to be your shadow when it comes to learning and they need a huge amount of time with you each day no matter what.

Torden

Whelp Date: Feb 11, 2018

Correct bad behavior, don't redirect. Redirecting is rewarding, not resolving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page