Male or female gsd for guarding/personal protection - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Mary Beth
  • 1 Post By Slamdunc
  • 1 Post By Baillif
  • 4 Post By Slamdunc
  • 1 Post By mycobraracr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Male or female gsd for guarding/personal protection

Is there a difference?My cousin has a female pitbull and told me that females are more protective , because they have the "mothers instict".Does he know his stuff or is he talking nonsense?Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Crowned Member

Your cousins's comment is interesting. I would think it would depend on the dog's temperament.

This older thread has more information:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...lice-dogs.html
jaspar likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 08:46 PM

It really depends on the dog. I'd say overall, IME males are far better for PP than females. You can find some good females, but it would be easier to find a good male. I think the "females are more protective" is an old wives tale.
Hlias21 likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:41 PM
Crowned Member

Why are males better, @Slamdunc? Don't police forces use predominantly males? If so, why? or maybe I got that wrong
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

Testosterone
Tennessee likes this.

You will walk when it is time to walk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 11:14 PM

^^^ Yup, that is a big part of it.

Males are generally larger, stronger and more aggressive. Males do not go into heat and you don't have to deal with a female that may become flaky during her heat cycle. Don't get me wrong, there are some strong females out there. But, I would prefer a male for a PP dog.

Yes, most Patrol K-9's are male. For pretty much the reasons stated above; size, aggression and strength. I rarely see females for sale when testing and selecting dogs for patrol work. A really good, strong female is worth much more to a breeder than a one time sale. They keep those dogs back for breedings and make more money. That is another reason that we do not see a lot of females offered for Patrol work. You don't see the goose that is laying the golden eggs.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

I'm with these guys. I wouldn't trade my f emale for the world, but I always steer people towards males. The dogs I hold, raise or anything else with the intention of PPD/LE is a male.
jaspar likes this.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:00 AM
Crowned Member

Oh yeah I didn't think of that...they wouldn't want to sell a good female, they'd want to breed her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page