Where to buy a good protection dog? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

I want to ask if anyone can help me decide if i should get a second dog in my house.The thing im mostly worried about is if the dogs will have fights between them.My dog is a male gsd with resource guarding tendencies , but no bites so far.He actually got in trouble by another dog once (he is growling when someone tries to take away a thing of his, especially to dogs and thats all , no agressiveness (i guess thats a good thing)).I am considering another male , thats why im asking.Finally what other problems could i face by having 2 dogs instead of 1 in my house?(in case im not considering all scenarios).Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspar View Post
I want to ask if anyone can help me decide if i should get a second dog in my house.The thing im mostly worried about is if the dogs will have fights between them.My dog is a male gsd with resource guarding tendencies , but no bites so far.He actually got in trouble by another dog once (he is growling when someone tries to take away a thing of his, especially to dogs and thats all , no agressiveness (i guess thats a good thing)).I am considering another male , thats why im asking.Finally what other problems could i face by having 2 dogs instead of 1 in my house?(in case im not considering all scenarios).Thanks
taking this new information into consideration , cross referencing first post by Jaspar in this thread Quote "Hello everyone , can i get some reccomendations on where can i buy a puppy able to do protection duties (guard in my home , personal protection).I live in europe and i found a site , jinopo they are called.Whats your opinion on them?I would also apreciate other recomendations.Thank you for you time!
"

I would give this recommendation ---- don't get another dog --- don't get another male --

work with the dog that you . Looks like there is a lot to clean up on management . Learn from this first dog -- do some training .

A younger pup will end up being a pet for the pet --- not developed to his potential , "doggy" and the constant underdog - or assert himself and have a house hold full of tension .

you have a dog .
jaspar likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

.I live in europe

where do you live in europe. In your other thread you are talking about a cousin with a female pit bull with mother's instinct for guarding protection.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
taking this new information into consideration , cross referencing first post by Jaspar in this thread Quote "Hello everyone , can i get some reccomendations on where can i buy a puppy able to do protection duties (guard in my home , personal protection).I live in europe and i found a site , jinopo they are called.Whats your opinion on them?I would also apreciate other recomendations.Thank you for you time!
"

I would give this recommendation ---- don't get another dog --- don't get another male --

work with the dog that you . Looks like there is a lot to clean up on management . Learn from this first dog -- do some training .

A younger pup will end up being a pet for the pet --- not developed to his potential , "doggy" and the constant underdog - or assert himself and have a house hold full of tension .

you have a dog .
Yes carm , it was one of the things i was worried about , that the dog wont reach his full potential with another dog in the house , or that 2 or more dogs will have better insticts working together (i have seen that many times at parks when one dog goes mad , many follow to help , maybe they could work better at protection too).So getting 2 or more dogs in a house will stop one from making a good protection dog?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I intend to train both dogs at protection and basic obedience.Could that help eliminate their will to fight each other?Also i believe i have done at least a good job with the one i already have (speaking for obedience).My big problem with him is that he is not walking well on leash.All else is resolved and by the way thanks to you and this sites members for helping me all this time , much apreciated.You also mentioned not to get a male , so you think a male will cause a war in the house?Is a female better?
Pleasant_Guy likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:20 AM

Yes, a female would be a much better choice.
jaspar likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspar View Post
Yes carm , it was one of the things i was worried about , that the dog wont reach his full potential with another dog in the house , or that 2 or more dogs will have better insticts working together (i have seen that many times at parks when one dog goes mad , many follow to help , maybe they could work better at protection too).So getting 2 or more dogs in a house will stop one from making a good protection dog?
Dogs go after other dogs that are barking/reacting/fighting/etc. because they are feeding off of the other dog's (or dogs') manic/frenzied/etc. energy. They aren't trying to "help", nor are they being "protective" in this scenario at the dog park. I just wanted to clarify this so you know that this isn't what you are seeing happen, and why you shouldn't see it as a reason to get a second dog and expect them both to do better in protection work because they are working together. Training two dogs to do protection work would be triple the work; you would have to train them each separately, and then eventually together (since it sounds like that's your goal, to have them work together?). You have to train them to work together- they are not going to do that naturally.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Findlay likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page