New puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kodh1996
  • 1 Post By Kodh1996

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

New puppy

So I brought my new puppy home (his names Hemi!) who is full shepherd but doesn't have papers, mom and dad we're their when I got him. I didn't get him from a breeder, I was shown a post about shepherd puppies and they were in a bad environment so naturally u had to get one. I've been wanting to get a gsd for awhile as a personal protection dog but this little guy is 3 months old and VERY timid. Mom and dad we're aggressive but he seems to be exact opposite. Is there any hope for this little guy when it comes to protection training?
Momo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:15 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Welcome to the forum! I'm afraid the answer is no. The odds are greatly against him to be able to be one. I would find a puppy class near you and start with training as soon as he's had his shots and your vet okays it. Hope you can post of picture of him soon.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Pictures are attached but little dude warmed up to our other dog who is boxer/blue healer but she is also quite skittish herself being a rescue. He started wandering around the house and chewing on toys but people including me he's still weary of. He'll let us handle him and take food or treats from us but other than that not much, other dogs he still doesn't like too much. He goes to the vet next week then after his 2 week shutdown he will be going to a puppy class after we get him knowing his name. Still holding out that there is hope for him to one day be a protection dog or even be protective of everyone in the house to an extent, but he's doing well for the state he was in. Thank you for the quick reply!
Attached Images

RZZNSTR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:17 PM

Congrats Kodh,

I've had 4 of these loyal, smart and courageous dogs.
Its very early to tell if he'll be a protective dog or not.

They really don't know they're a dog until about a year old or so.
Get some basic training started: Sit, Shake, (What NO is), come when he is called--a very important one.

Once he has a strong bond with you; you'll see him stake out his turf in the yard and he'll learn to bark and then you'll be sorry he started being protective. :-) Teach him to stop barking too; my dog rattled the windows when he got wound up and barked at someone or something nearing our house.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Hemi is making big progress everyday. I rigged up a toy on a fishing line and throw it down the hallway and have him chase it down, we got him mostly potty trained a few accidents when hes excited about something, he knows come and sit fairly well but still working on his timid-ness. Thank y'all for the warm welcome
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodh1996 View Post
Is there any hope for this little guy when it comes to protection training?
I wouldn't focus on that right now. Based on the words you're using to describe him (timid and weary, though I think you meant leary) I'd say no, he's not going to make a good protection dog.

Right now, you should focus on his obedience and socializing (which is needed for any GSD, regardless if its destined for protection work or not). When he gets a bit older, you can take him to a trainer experienced with GSD's and get a professional opinion on whether he is suited for certain activities. Don't try to force him into training or situations that he doesn't have the stomach for.

You can get just about any dog to bite, but if the dog is doing so out of fear and uncertainty, you're setting yourself up for failure, and a potential lawsuit.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Master Member

A proper PP dog will have been bred for that specific purpose. They usually come from bloodlines that have proven their worth in the field of PP. It is highly unlikely that a GSD with no pedigree and from a BYB will make a proper PP dog.

Just enjoy your puppy and start working on obedience. What you don't want to do is rile the dog up and turn it into a fear agressive dog, which timid puppies can become. Socialize your pup well, get it used to many different environments and other dogs and invest in solid obedience training.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page