Do hog hunting Catch dog make good ppd? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Chip18
  • 2 Post By voodoolamb
  • 2 Post By lhczth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Do hog hunting Catch dog make good ppd?

Recently I have been reading a lot about American bandogge used as cath dogs in hog hunting. Do these powerful animals make good ppd? Anybody here owned or trained a bandogge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZPUR1976 View Post
Recently I have been reading a lot about American bandogge used as cath dogs in hog hunting. Do these powerful animals make good ppd? Anybody here owned or trained a bandogge?
LOL so you finally got around to taking notice of those guys huh.

As a "Band Dawg" was my first dog ... I'll say yes and no. My plan was to do the "PPD" thing but what I did not expect was a "serious" D/A situation??? Most likely ... not quite enough research on my part?? So I abandoned plan "A" "PPD" and proceeded to Plan B a safe civil pet. Worked out fine.

American bandogge ... a term I use ... is actually a "job description" and not a "Breed" but "Google" ... you know, if you do a search and type in "American Bandogge" dogs will show up.

Skipping a lot of well "crap" .... the "ideal" "American Bandogge" would be a cross between an "APBT and a "Working Neapolitan Mastiff." I'd say good luck on finding that particular cross ... but they are out there.

My guy was a "APBT/Bull Mastiff/Lab Cross" his dad was a first generation ... 50/50 APBT/ APBT cross and he was freaking awesome looking!!!! Imagine a "Pit Bull" who's shoulders came to your waist and had a "Pit head and build" and a Bull Mastiffs size and Pit Bull Bull Red! That was dad and he was "Freaking Awesome" looking!!! But he was just a "Pet" despite his rather intimidating look ... 50 percent Bull Mastiff's/50 percent APBT, he was cool and 50/50 Lab/APBT mom ... was kinda insane??? But not really a surprise there as if you look you'll find that "Bull Mastiffs" are typically describes as ... kinda lazy.

So you know a "Bull Mastiff" as a base was not really an ideal foundation for a "PPD???" I would suppose?? Best source of information on the "Bandogge" thing would most likely be here.:Midgard Mastiffs

And those guys ... don't like the "Band Dogge" term as it really means "nothing???" But they work there dogs and they tend to use "Great Danes" as a base for there dogs.

I'm not really a "Dane fan" myself so they don't work for me but they are not alone in using "Danes." So you know ... they would know.

The Working Neo and APBT cross ... I have no idea where I saw that first ... but it made sense to me??? American Line Neo's by and large are pretty messed up in America, these days but off shore apparently "Working Neo's" is still a "thing."

But ... if you want to pursue a "Bandogge" as an option better define your terms ... "Dog's of Molosslers World" and as much as all serious trainers use "APBT" as a base ... this comparison should prove useful???

Dr. P's Dog Training: Belgian Malinois vs. American Pit Bull Terrier

From "PPD" trainers here, that have trained "CC's" as "PPD" there advise seems to be "Formal obedience" first and then proceed unto the "PPD" thing. You really don't want to have to deal with 130+ lbs of "Mastiff" mix with an owner "issue??" Least ways ... I would not.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 PM
Elite Member

No.

Bandogs are cross breeds. They often are crossed with breeds that do NOT have the required civil-ness or Human Aggression required for protection work, such as Chip's bandog with lab and apbt. Dog and other animal aggression is common in bandogs which means you won't have one of those take them everywhere type of PPD - just like Chip encountered with his Bandog. Also some of the breeds that are used in Bandogs are not the most clear headed in drive, you may run into control issues with them.

Also, the last link Chip posted - the interviewee is well known to be a BYB. They haven't been in the dog world in years - and when they where they were breeding grossly out of standard. Including outcrossing to another breed and trying to represent their cross as a purebred. They ere unethical and not a reputable source of any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 06:28 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Please see the new announcement.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-pitbulls.html

I know the OP didn't mean for this to go in the direction it was going, but the thread is still closed.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page