2Likes
  • 1 Post By zetti
  • 1 Post By Steve Strom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

Off Button

This is more just working dogs in general. I guess I've been blessed, I've never had a dog that didn't have an off switch. At what age do you make the decision the dog doesn't have an off switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

It's obvious very early. Puppies sleep a lot. If yours doesn't, it might not have an off switch. When you start training, can you redirect?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

Enya likes her naps and when she's out, she's out! And so far, redirecting hasn't been a problem. No, I keep reading in different threads about an 'off switch'. Like I said, I guess I've been blessed that my dogs have all had off switches. But when reading some old threads I saw several who said they wouldn't keep a dog with no off switch, or wouldn't ever want to. Over other threads I've seen people mention ages when their dogs 'off switch' kicked in. The ages were varying. So that made me wonder what the average age the off switch kicks in and by what age do you realize the dog won't have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

I've never had an average age with puppies. I had puppies, then started rescuing, then got a rescue puppy and now a purchased puppy. I think what you are asking is when their drive kicks in. You will see drive in a young dog but as they mature, it can increase.That is when you will know if they have an off switch.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I've never had an average age with puppies. I had puppies, then started rescuing, then got a rescue puppy and now a purchased puppy. I think what you are asking is when their drive kicks in. You will see drive in a young dog but as they mature, it can increase.That is when you will know if they have an off switch.

Ah, thank you! From context I was thinking it was when they were outside and playing/working etc., and could then be brought in the house and they are able to turn off the energy/excitement and relax in the house.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:55 PM
Elite Member

Augh. My True Haus Wild Child has no Off Switch. Never again. It was obvious from the time he was eight weeks--he just could not settle. In his crate, he barked non stop. Eventually, we were able to fix that but only with electricity. He barked right through his bark collar, only the zapper stopped him.

He's two now and still can't be loose in the house.

He also lacks focus and is extremely distractable.

All of my other WLs have had factory installed Off Switches and were a joy to live with. Wild Child has been non stop problems. And he's not able to do IPO. Poor guy.

We've got a new puppy coming in January, he will have an Off Switch. I hope. I think. He should.
Deb likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Ah, thank you! From context I was thinking it was when they were outside and playing/working etc., and could then be brought in the house and they are able to turn off the energy/excitement and relax in the house.
I think of the off switch as their routine. Being consistent with them and the rules and manners you train into them. Part of that is crates and a kennel, whatever I want with them. There's no set age I look at, we do the same things from the time they're potty trained.
Deb likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page