Brazilian Fila: As a protection dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 74Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Brazilian Fila: As a protection dog

It is my long term dream to own big live stock guardian breeds or mastiffs that are naturally protective.
Unfortunately now the circumstances don't permit. So I indulge myself only by reserching about these breeds.

Recently I did some research on the Fila Brasileiro also known as the Brazilian Mastiff.
One of the unique characteristics of this breed is the Portuguese word "Ojeriza", which directly translated into English means dislike and distrust.

They bond closely to their family, but have extreme disturst with strangers ehich make them effective guard dogs. They attack by jumping and holding the adversary in the face. They were originally developed to hold the prey, rather than tearing the prey apart.

Has any body in this fourm trained a Fila?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:10 AM
Knighted Member

It's my understanding that all mastiffs are protective of their families. One of the guys that work for me has had a lot of old English mastiffs and said that they have all been pretty distrustful of strangers.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 AM

I'll admire them from afar.The liability issues scare me.
maxtmill and Tulip like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Elite Member

One of the worse breeds to have if you expect ANY interaction with new people. They have a 6 month window (read somewhere) for socialization, and after that good luck trying to get them to be ok with new people. Not a breed for anyone that doesn't live on a 1000 acre ranch.
Tulip likes this.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Elite Member

You better be very sure a stranger was trying to kill you if you have a 100 lb plus dog who will jump up and try to rip their face off. That is a lifetime disfigurement for the UPS guy...
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:07 PM

I'd rather have my 75lb lean quick gsd than a 100lb mastiff. Also I'd rather have a dog that is neutral to everyone that i can light up easily than one that is naturally distrustful and I have to fight against every time I go for a walk. I dont know much about the fila but they dont seem like the ideal candidate for a PPD. Then again everyone will have their own goals and preferences.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:19 PM
Elite Member

Our neighbor had a Fila for a time. Reading about them, I was intrigued that they are judged in the show ring UNTOUCHED by the judge. I would not want the liability involved with owning such a breed.
Tulip likes this.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtmill View Post
Our neighbor had a Fila for a time. Reading about them, I was intrigued that they are judged in the show ring UNTOUCHED by the judge. I would not want the liability involved with owning such a breed.
The way that reads it sounds like they weren't a permanent home for the dog? Any details of what happened.

A couple years ago i heard about this guy who was crossing filas, dogos, and pit bulls trying to make the ultimate guard dog.

My impression was that it would be safer to put a little bottle rocket where the sun don't shine then be around that cross.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:49 PM
Elite Member

My issue with a dog like that, is where is the enjoyment of being on guard all of the time? A well bred, sound gsd or malonois, or dutch will be a lot more enjoyable.
dogma13 likes this.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 01:05 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
The way that reads it sounds like they weren't a permanent home for the dog? Any details of what happened.

A couple years ago i heard about this guy who was crossing filas, dogos, and pit bulls trying to make the ultimate guard dog.

My impression was that it would be safer to put a little bottle rocket where the sun don't shine then be around that cross.
Well, the dog suddenly was not around anymore - we could see him in his fenced back yard when we drove home every night from work. One of the other neighbors said he died. I don't know the details, but he was a young animal. Then soon after the neighbors moved out and allowed their home to foreclose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page