Questions about PP dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 190Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Questions about PP dogs

Hi guys I have some questions about protections dogs.

Is it better to buy a protection dog as an adult, or buy a puppy and raise/train it yourself?
If you buy it as a puppy, do you pay someone to train it, or do have to pay someone to mentor/train you and then you train your dog?

Im not really in the market for one at the moment. I have a 9 month old puppy at home. Id like to wait at least another year, maybe longer, before we get our second dog. Just kind of looking into the idea for now.

Two days ago, a man followed a mother and daughter, broke into their house, less than a mile away from mine, in the middle of the day and tried to kidnap a young girl. It was Saturday, everyone was home. Thankfully the father was able to fend the creeper away. It really freaked me out though. I'm a stay at home mom and I have a daughter the same age as the young girl. We walk/bike ride to school twice a day, we walk our dog all over our neighborhood everyday, multiple times a day. I just want to feel safer. I've thought about purchasing a gun for a many years. The main reason I haven't done it yet is because the city I live in, doesn't hand out permits to carry concealed weapons. I'd basically have to leave it at home. Also it makes me nervous to have guns at home with kids.

I have a taser but honestly, my husband tested it on himself and his brother and it didn't seem to faze them all that much.

I realize some of these PP dogs are very expensive. I don't really know if I would want a dog that did actual bite work or just kind of stand its ground and look tough. Then again maybe some barking wouldn't deter an intruder. I don't think our dog could go into this kind of training. We got her to be our family pet. Plus she's pretty small, only weighing in at 50 pounds at 9 months. She might end up weight less than 60 lbs as an adult.

Anyway Im all over the place with the idea. Just wondering what you guys think. Thank you.

Last edited by Agaribay805; 08-29-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 01:57 PM

I think I'd rather have some sort of device that shrieks out a loud siren.And my trusty can of hornet spray for his eyes.Just because I couldn't stand it if the dog got hurt or killed.
Tulip and islanddog like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Yea that would suck! Maybe, having two dogs is more likely to deter an intruder versus having just one. My Willow has a loud bark but she is just a puppy and she is tiny. Not sure if she would scare a 200 lb man if he got a good look at her.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 02:53 PM

Home - WolfGang Expert Dog Training - Beverly Hills, Gardena, Torrance, Hawthorne, Los Angeles - Wolfgang Expert Dog Training This place finds the perfect dog for your family and trains them as protection dogs from pups.
post #5 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Elite Member

Puppies are a crap shoot. No guarantee that the little 8 week old puppy is going to mature into a dog with the nerves capable of doing what you want. Plus you then are without protection for the 3 or so years it takes for the puppy to mature and undergo training.

As far as size... those 50 - 60 lb malinois I've seen at IPO certainly seem to hit the sleeve pretty dang hard.

It may be worth it to you to atleast get your girl evaluated. Even if you dont start doing bite work with her teaching a good vicious bark on command. Is an awful good deterent.
gsdluvr, Nigel, dogma13 and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9KOA View Post
Home - WolfGang Expert Dog Training - Beverly Hills, Gardena, Torrance, Hawthorne, Los Angeles - Wolfgang Expert Dog Training This place finds the perfect dog for your family and trains them as protection dogs from pups.
K9KOA - do you have any experience working with them?
post #7 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Puppies are a crap shoot. No guarantee that the little 8 week old puppy is going to mature into a dog with the nerves capable of doing what you want. Plus you then are without protection for the 3 or so years it takes for the puppy to mature and undergo training.

As far as size... those 50 - 60 lb malinois I've seen at IPO certainly seem to hit the sleeve pretty dang hard.

It may be worth it to you to atleast get your girl evaluated. Even if you dont start doing bite work with her teaching a good vicious bark on command. Is an awful good deterent.
So in your opinion buying an adult trained dog is a better option that buying the puppy with potential?

Yeah I think I'll look into getting my girl evaluated. If we could train her to at least stand her ground and look/sound scary, that would be great.

There is some kind of creep lurking my neighborhood... Looking for some peace of mind.
post #8 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 12:40 PM

My former 60lb rally-o & agility trained gsd looked plenty scary if aroused. Safe enough, great pet dog, a joy to train, and not a liability on a leash.

Statistically speaking, how likely is it that an intruder will be bothering you next?

On the other hand, dog sports are fun. A gsd that will do a bark and hold, impressive.
zetti likes this.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaribay805 View Post
So in your opinion buying an adult trained dog is a better option that buying the puppy with potential?

Yeah I think I'll look into getting my girl evaluated. If we could train her to at least stand her ground and look/sound scary, that would be great.

There is some kind of creep lurking my neighborhood... Looking for some peace of mind.
Use extreme caution in getting your girl protection trained. There are a LOT of con artists in the dog business who will take your money and ruin your dog. Look for a trainer who also trains police K-9s if you're serious. A lot of departments don't have in house trainers, they contract with private companies. Be sure you get references and can verify what they tell you.

A trained young adult is a much better bet. Very few dogs have the right combination of nerves, drives and hardness for personal protection. They are produced via selective breeding.

Also, with a young adult, you will know about hips and elbows. Puppies are indeed a crapshoot in that sense. They can be evaluated young for temperament, but not hips and elbows.

Be prepared. These dogs do not come cheap.

I'd also consider adding an umbrella clause to my homeowners policy. Properly selected and trained protection dogs are not dangerous. Unless somebody does something really stupid. It happens. Plaintiff's lawyers get giddy when they find out your dog was protection trained.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but protection training is very serious business. It's important that you be a well informed consumer before you seek out a trainer or dog.
onyx'girl, gsdluvr and islanddog like this.
post #10 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 12:46 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9KOA View Post
I found it odd that all the pics were of show line GSDs.
onyx'girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page