From the working line of German Shepherds which type makes a natural guard dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

From the working line of German Shepherds which type makes a natural guard dog?

I have owned a german shepherd in the past but now I'm looking for one which has a more sharper temperament. Which lines of german shepherds are known to have highest amount of defensive drive and need very minimal amount of protection work to protect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 07:39 AM
Crowned Member

the dog with the minimal amount of protection work to protect will probably take the maximum amount of work to keep under control and avoid wrongful bite and liability risks.

defensive won't protect you -- don't go looking for a reactive loose cannon.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1982 View Post
I have owned a german shepherd in the past but now I'm looking for one which has a more sharper temperament. Which lines of german shepherds are known to have highest amount of defensive drive and need very minimal amount of protection work to protect?
I could be wrong about this, but all the breeders I talked to said that GSDs are natural protectors and will basically protect without being "taught" to. My puppy is 18 weeks and a west german show line, and she is already showing protection instincts... Are you looking for a companion at home or to do something more with the dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 10:09 AM
Crowned Member

an 18 week old puppy should not be showing protection instincts.

more than likely this is defensive , fear based.

make sure you socialize and train this pup properly. Do not reward or encourage this behaviour.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
an 18 week old puppy should not be showing protection instincts.

more than likely this is defensive , fear based.

make sure you socialize and train this pup properly. Do not reward or encourage this behaviour.
Oh Carm. You always think you know me so well. You don't even know what behavior I was referencing.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 10:54 AM

One of the reasons I am a silent member here. Someone always thinks their way is the only way and they inflict that opinion with a merciless sledgehammer.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley2016 View Post
Oh Carm. You always think you know me so well. You don't even know what behavior I was referencing.

Well what protective behavior are you seeing?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Banned

So I've been doing a lot of research on this very topic. And even though I raised many dogs in the past, I was a total newb to this issue. Speaking with experts who do this for a living for 30 years, there is no way you can calculate how a puppy will protect you as an adult. The ONLY thing to look for is 1. Genetics and 2. drive. As a pup they only have prey drive, make sure the pup has this because you can turn prey drive into different types of drive as they mature. Genetics is the most important part. So you should look at the parents and the pedigree. I would pick a working line pup with tons of drive if I was looking for a protection prospect. And then you have to really not screw up the training for the first year because you can ruin a dog for life just with a stupid "experiment" that may pop into your head. DO NOT DO ANYTHING besides play with the pup to build drive (tug, fetch, tracking is great to teach the dog to work for you), and light obedience. Too much obedience kills their spirit. This is what experts have told me anyways.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Master Member

Just my personal opinion: I don't think it's fair to buy a puppy with a job in mind and expect it to pick these skills up on their own. And like anything, you get what you put in. Yes, some dogs will have more innate ability, but they still need practice.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

A good protector is a dog who is socially stable and has a good play drive as a pup, followed up by intense training. A 18 week old pup that is "protecting" is just protecting itself. Nothing heroic about it. This dog will probably hide in case of violence against you or bite out of fear when a child runs by.
You cannot expect a pup to grow up as a protector by wait-and-see.
carmspack, gsdluvr and voodoolamb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page