Spayed Female, still have drive? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Spayed Female, still have drive?

I'm interested in a 7 month old female working line GSD that a local humane society has, she is already spayed, not sure if it was by the humane society of previous owner of some kind. How much would it affect her drive if wanting to get into protection sports?I know many people keep their WL shepherds to keep the drive up and thats what i would have preferred to do but since she is already spayed i'm not sure what her drive is.
I was also wondering how much exercise she would need on a daily basis, I do have plenty of free time and would spend the time and effort training her, I know it depends on the dog but on average what would be the mental and physical exercise requirements daily? The humane society doesn't have any info on her as of right now but i have looked into and i'm waiting to hear back.
Any tips are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 01:23 AM

The only way in which spaying/neutering effects drive at all is to remove a major distraction.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:50 AM
Crowned Member

Basically, it's preferred by many (at least several that I know) to leave their bitches intact until they are two or three so that they get the physical development. At the same time, I've heard knowledgable people say that it is much easier to work a spayed bitch in IPO. So - spaying would not deminish her drives but will help give her focus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I would have preferred to leave her intact for the physical development until about 2, and spay her then. I was curious about the drive as i have heard many different opinions on it ad wasn't sure what was more accurate. Thank you very much
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

Sabi was a working dog all her life. The only thing spaying changed was her coming in heat twice a year and attempting to murder male dogs.

She decided she didn't like male dogs at any time of year
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Crowned Member

Is this the same dog you always walked off leash?
viking likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Is this the same dog you always walked off leash?
Me? I think you have me confused with another member, I've never mentioned anything about walking a dog off leash. And I do not own the dog I was talking about, she's a possible dog I would like to adopt
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy25 View Post
Me? I think you have me confused with another member, I've never mentioned anything about walking a dog off leash. And I do not own the dog I was talking about, she's a possible dog I would like to adopt
No, she's referring to Sabis mom's comment. She had mentioned in another thread about leaving her off leash when out and about.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
No, she's referring to Sabis mom's comment. She had mentioned in another thread about leaving her off leash when out and about.
Oh okay thank you, She hadn't quoted her so i wasn't sure
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy25 View Post
Oh okay thank you, She hadn't quoted her so i wasn't sure
Sorry Suzy! My post was not directed to you.

It is just there is another thread going on about dog aggression, leash frustration, and loose dogs where the most vocal supporters of stringent and enforced leash laws seem to have a history of letting apparently dangerous dogs of their own run loose, even dogs that have killed numerous other dogs while crucifying those with well behaved dogs that don't need a leash 24/7. It was just kind of a shock and a knee jerk reaction to see those comments posted on this thread.

Also, sorry for going off topic here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page