Some cool dogs I have worked lately.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Some cool dogs I have worked lately..

Dog # 1. In for some PP training on session # 5, when we see the behaviours on the sleeve we like we will move to the suit. Right now I am rewarding focus on the man as opposed to equipment. After consulting with a training helper I trust it was determined his primary drive is Defense which I was inadvertently skirting through my initial approach. As you can see in his work forcing him to focus on the man brings this drive to the for. This dog is a WL of some sort from Kijiji..lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0R2XJmY67Y

Dog # 2. Purchased for my PP dog program he actually has some IPO training. Nice pedigree on him which I will link. This is session # 1. Just feeling him out and seeing where his training needs to go. Some minor grip issues, and I would like a bit more power here and there. He has some good aggression which we will work more to bring out. He should be on the suit soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUqoTDLML7k

Pedigree:Togo Von D'Andico

Dog # 3. My Malinois IPO 1 just having some fun with some catches and escapes also a quick suit work vid. He has a very serious edge, wish I had vid of his first table session here. It was down right scary and I dont say that lightly..probably to much for youtube though..lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk1ch1ObqHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OITiV4jRkyc

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Crowned Member

I just got distracted for a while watching ALL your videos, lol.
And realized you are in Canada, saw the Timmies cup!

Some cool dogs. Learning a lot from the videos everyone posts here.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Gotta have my Timmies . One right across the street from my training spot..thank god.

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

Criteria for house rental, must allow dogs in any number, must have fenced yard and must be stumbling, half asleep distance from Tims.

I knew you did ppd training but somehow missed the part about pets. I liked the Boxer and I see you are a fan of the prong collar. Can I ask why? Just curious.
Don't knock the Kijiji dogs, Sabs came from the Bargain Finder. Once in a while, a great while, you get solid gold. He is a nice looking boy, what is your opinion of him? As a working prospect? I have seen lots of dogs that put on a great show but lack the heart to stick. I watched the video several times, curious about what I see and would love it if you could break it down.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

If you want a good working dog kijiji is probably not a good place to start.

He has the necessary prey play drive that gives him the desire to bite. He has nice hard grips. If worked in these drives he looks good.
When threatened and pushed via posture and stick he shows some insecurity. He needs to be worked through his defense drive and shown how to get what he wants. The bite and me to leave. So when he offers me the correct behaviours I will reward with bite and my flight.
When he does not he will be pressured until he does.

I use the prong collar because it is the most effective tool for the job.

Bastian the Beast

Last edited by Blitzkrieg1; 04-09-2016 at 10:36 PM.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 10:40 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks!
I thought that's what I was seeing, but I wanted to confirm.
I do agree about Kijiji, it was just my weak attempt at humor.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Thanks!
I thought that's what I was seeing, but I wanted to confirm.
I do agree about Kijiji, it was just my weak attempt at humor.
No worries, I have seen worse dogs from breeders recommended in places like this from supposedly planned breedings .

Bastian the Beast

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

That is exactly why I hesitate. Who is to say a good breeder really is a good breeder?
In this province, I have no access to trainers and the breeders all check all the right boxes, but inside information tells a different story.
Canadian breeders of this breed are in a dismal state, and I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't be better off to roll the dice and take a chance with an unknown again.
Please keep posting videos. I learn so much from watching them, and my education in this type of training is so lacking.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Oh dont get me wrong there are some doing it right. You can easily see their dogs in video, in competition results, at training clubs. They aren't cheap but there is plenty of quality out there. Its important to see proof, not just cool stories.

Bastian the Beast

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 11:57 PM
Crowned Member

I am having kind of a thing for dog #2. I really like a lot about him. Can you put up more video of him as you get further with him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page