Found a Trainer, but a few things... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Found a Trainer, but a few things...

Hi everyone!

Brand new to the forum. I have an 11 week old male KNPV Dutch Shepherd named Duke. The only local trainer in the area for PP agreed to begin a training relationship however I have two issues.

1. Since he predominantly is a Schutzhund trainer, aside from a sleeve the only other option is a big coat. No hidden sleeves.

2. He will not train different scenarios with me, such as carjacking, home invasion etc. I didn't ask about nonverbal attacks though. Hopefully he does this.

A very brief explanation as to why I got involved with this breed and training is I put a man in prison who tried to take my life on two separate occasions. He will be getting out of prison the middle of next year.

The person I bought the dog from has a training facility 3 hours away so I'm thinking I could get the fundamentals close to home and any specialty work possibly make the trip down to his facility every couple weeks and possibly start training scenarios at home once I know what is entailed.

Any thoughts?

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:18 PM

Based on your explanation for why and what you are training your puppy I would strongly ask you to reconsider at this time and age. In my experience, personal protection training (home invasion, carjacking etc.) is not a puppy's game. It is a very serious endeavor. Obedience training is a strong prerequisite for this type of training, not just sit and down but let me drop the leash and your dog can obey you from a distance without fail. At 11 weeks a 2 min. distracted stay is an accomplishment. I am a strong believer that a dog trained to bite without a strong obedience background is a hazard and a danger. I am very surprised to hear a trainer who feels an 11 week old can be ready for protection in 4 months. I will jump off my soap box now, sorry to be so strong in my wording, I like to only reply on the positive but take it as honest reply to your questions.

KAVAI VOM HUFEISENBERG
ROCCO HEIDELBERGER-SCHLOSS
BEYA VOM WIEZENLAND
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Crowned Member

Where are you located in NEPA? General area.

Agree with Stikker. An adult would have been a better choice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:24 PM
Crowned Member

not sure how far you are from this group, but worth looking into:
http://www.warriork9.com/

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

I'm sorry for the omissions, but it is correct that the puppy is starting with obedience and growing into protection. As for when I believe I will be in a reasonable amount of danger, that isn't until May of 2017.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

And located in the Scranton area.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortenjam View Post
As for when I believe I will be in a reasonable amount of danger, that isn't until May of 2017.
Your dog will not be trained enough, or mature enough, in that time.

Not much in our area. You'll need to travel. IMO, it's much clearer to the dog to stay with one trainer while laying the foundation work. The best thing for you to do, if you are going to go back to your breeder for training, is to discuss this with him.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortenjam View Post
I'm sorry for the omissions, but it is correct that the puppy is starting with obedience and growing into protection. As for when I believe I will be in a reasonable amount of danger, that isn't until May of 2017.
May 2017 is 15 months away, please disregard my in four months comment. I was thinking May - June of this year when you said middle of the year. Sorry for my rant, I know better than to type before letting the thread mature. Soap box has been kicked off a cliff, never to be used again

KAVAI VOM HUFEISENBERG
ROCCO HEIDELBERGER-SCHLOSS
BEYA VOM WIEZENLAND
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 11:54 AM
Banned

Hopefully you are well armed and well trained too. There are things that can stop a dog but a bullet works well as a method of self defense.

That's going to be a very stressful time for you. Relocation is not an option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page