Crating my Personal Protection Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Crating my Personal Protection Dog

After staying home for 16 years, I'm planning to return to work. My husband took a major hit on income in 2015 and it's time for me to step up and start contributing financially to the household. I can't leave my dogs (GSD, 2) and (Siberian Husky, 13) alone to roam in the house; so I'm wondering how long I can crate them.

Here's some background: We are unable to leave the dogs outside for three reasons: the fence is too insecure, coyotes and we have a harassing neighbor (I wouldn't put it past him to try to poison our dogs). Things got so bad with psycho next door, that we retained an attorney to issue a cease and desist letter and threaten him with a restraining order; hence the reason for the personal protection dog.

Whenever I leave to run errands, the dogs stay in their crates, so they don't mind them (the classical music we play helps), but I'm wondering if you have any tips as to how I can acclimate them to staying in the crates for a longer period of time on a daily basis. For example, starting off by crating them two hours per day while I'm home, and increasing it by one hour as the week progresses...toys I can buy to entertain them...that sort of thing.

Thank You!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4497.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	348185  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

I would try kongs and those interaction treat toys to keep them occupied. If possible, perhaps you can put them in a room instead of crating them. Either way, I agree with you to start with short periods of time and gradually increase the length. If you have to be gone the whole day, perhaps you can hire someone to come and walk them so they have a break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:18 PM
Banned

I think it will be very hard on older dogs to have to endure confines of a crate for a full work day.

Is there a reason why they can't have freedom in at least part of the house while you are gone. Do they destroy things or soil the carpet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
I think it will be very hard on older dogs to have to endure confines of a crate for a full work day.

Is there a reason why they can't have freedom in at least part of the house while you are gone. Do they destroy things or soil the carpet?
Yes, both. We used to keep the Husky in the big bathroom for a few hours at a time prior to getting the GSD. He chewed the door.

A few times the GSD has gotten out of his crate and trashed stuff and pooped on the rug. The crate now has a padlock with a loooong shank.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

I also am concerned about crating your old husky for a long time though I do understand your dilemna. But depending on how long ago these incidents happened, I would suggest you try again to leave them in a room at least with the husky. It is sorta of like a lady I knew whose 8 month border collie chewed her car back seat up. The lady never got over it and always crated the border collie from then on clear until he died. My husky when I had to confine her to the basement, since the paintesr were coming in and the backyard was being mowed, so I tied her downstairs, she chewed thru the fuel oil line I tried crating her when I couldn't leave her outside and she chewed the crate door and hurt her mouth. So, a few months latter when it was too cold and I had to leave her again - I decided to take a chance on leaving her free in the house. She did fine. She must have known she was being given another chance

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Banned

I see ... crazy insane "owner out of site" behaviour! The Crate is a "partial" solution but does not address the underlying cause. The dogs need to be taught to "chill out" and that can be done thru "training calmness" into the dogs.

"The Place Command" and "Sit on the Dog" they 'train" a dog to cope with doing "Nothing. "That would look like this:

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

And you can step it up by not allowing them to free roam in the house, Crate or Place when they are indoors. That would allow you to show them how you expect them behave, in the home. If they get it maybe at a later point you wont need to Crate them when your gone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page