what is a protection dog, and what are they not ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

what is a protection dog, and what are they not ?

Hi guys,

I have owned one shepherd but didn't do much training but from what I could tell, training an alpha female to walk by my side with the leash tied to my belt loop.... yeah fun......

anyways, that's my background on shepherds.. I do understand behavior and personalities and traits and likes and dislikes that all dogs are not the same..

I feel it is time to look into fully trained dogs for our family as we have an ex family member, well not going to get into it, lets just say a bomb was found on my neighbors car that was the exact model and color of my one I sold before moving and voice in my head told me to put the car in the garage...... one story to say..

the thing that I would like to hear from people who have seen highly, and to be very blunt as to get a better answer, a very very highly trained shepherd in the $30k+ range, in a generality are they:

good with kids?
can you take the out to enjoy an outdoor active lifestyle?
can you not have them around other dogs you encounter outdoors?
do they chase anything that moves ( birds, bunnies, squirrel ) ?
do they bark at everything if left outdoors?
do they bark at everything if indoors?
it's my understanding the higher level of training the more "calm" and confident the dog has to be to achieve that level???

one big question I have is this... if some of these dogs have impressive titles and if they have those skills that are repeatable, why would someone sell the dog out of the country if it is such a highly desired dog? I would like to say it cant be money if your thing is training dog and that's your passion, but

another big question I have is this.. do these adult dogs come from "negative" situations, where they live there life in a kennel being trained to later be looked at as being a sale tag? I would not like to think of buying a dog that has been raised in inhumane ways and uncaring ways... do people just think of them as "killing machines" or is there heart and soul that go into these dogs that get sold for family protection ???? yes call be ignorant, but I like facts and to be honest I know a lot of things are hidden from view, well the bad things so people make uninformed decisions.. by the way when I say that I never hope that buying a dog if I do would be used to attack another human.. I know presence goes a long way in place of using force...

I once called my wife and I, casual active. we like being outdoors as much as possible, and would like another family member that I'm not constantly yelling at or telling to behave or correcting or getting tangled in a leash. My biggest concern though is our 15 month old which is any parents concern of possible bite happening if the toddler wants to snuggle with it, give it a hug, lean on it's back.....

these are my questions, and any help, comments, suggestions ,experience, wisdom, knowledge you would like to share, please do, I would love to hear from real people and not someone who is selling me a "product". anything you can add to my title of what they are and what they are not would be excellent, I'm trying to understand a dog to the caliber I think they are, as all I know is stock mill breed puppies, so I think I have an idea what they should be like, but I'm not going to guess and rather hear from people what they are, and are not.

if you have any breeders or places you can suggest that only deal with top level dogs, please let me know.. I heard the name Bill Kulla mentioned and got in contact with him, but like to double reference with people outside of ales and hear real world experience, THANK YOU. some dogs from kraftwerk have impressive titles but have heard very very mixed reviews so I steer clear of them.. I just don't know the world of trained dogs..

Last edited by athena14; 11-21-2015 at 01:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Crowned Member

I would get in touch with Nate....he breeds the type of dog you are looking for Sportwaffen K9
Mike Suttle would be another one to contact http://www.loganhauskennels.com/
They can answer your questions as they are experienced and experts in this field.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 11-21-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page