Cost to train in PP - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Cost to train in PP

Hey guys Im planning on training with my GSD to do PP. Im just curious what the average cost is per hr to train in this area. I know there is a lot that goes into this but I'm just speaking generally.

The place I was planning on taking him wants 200/hr and says they think it will take between 15-20hrs with 15min training sessions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not giving an opinion on the place you're talking about, but I wouldn't pay 200 dollars an hour. 15-20 hours, what if he isn't what you want at the end of it?
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 09:22 PM

Even if their qualifications are considered the Best , $200 per hour is unreasonable.

And no one, in my experience can train a dog like my wife's dog below in....... 15-20 hrs of work with 15 minute sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5osw4ynoUI

Or this dog that we trained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDV30QHDyVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVkR2er0a74

It took a lot more time than 15-20 hours of work to train these dogs.

Bite suits, sleeve's, hidden sleeves, gunfire, fireworks etc. etc.

Whenever we are contacted to train a PPD we first want to find out, "What in your mind is a PPD? What do expect from your dog? On and on the questions go.

And just because you can afford it, does not mean that your dog is able to perform to your expectations. And, you need to be trained as well….that is the hardest part.

We regularly turn people down because, Number one - working with dogs is our hobby, not how we make a living.

Number two- it is not how we make our living, understand?

Does this trainer who charges $200 per hour have videos of the same quality as ours?

If not, maybe do some research before you spend any money.

There are Good Trainers out there, Figure out what you Really Want from your dog, Consider the Liability factors involved in owning a PPD and then do some Research to find a Professional Trainer in your area.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohnson View Post
The place I was planning on taking him wants 200/hr and says they think it will take between 15-20hrs with 15min training sessions.
You're dealing with someone asking stupidly ridiculous rates and making equally ridiculous promises.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Crowned Member

I'm with everyone else. $200 an hour seems high to me and 15-20 hours is not a lot of time. People forget that just as if not more importantly when teaching a dog to bite, is also teaching when not to bite. Getting them to bite is the easy part. So like Kim said, ask yourself what a PPD means to you. What level of training do you in vision in your head?

Have you already had your dog evaluated for this type of work? Has he been deemed suitable? Or does this trainer believe they can make any dog a PPD?

If you don't mind sharing your location, where are you?
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:05 PM

I don't believe the OP even has a pup yet and is just looking for a ballpark figure.... both goals and training facilities could definitely change, so now that it's gathered $200/hr is too much and 15-20hrs is not enough..... perhaps someone could provide some realistic figures for him?

he's in oaklahoma mycobraracr.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:08 PM

mikejohnson -

Allow me to give you another example Mike, the first videos I posted were of very serious PPD's ( we don't use Level 1, 2 , 3 like some people do, non-sense stuff).

The videos below are of a dog that was considered a poor candidate for a family pet, let alone a PPD. We took this dog in and spent 9 months working with her.

I also have video of her playing with my Granddaughter, Awesome Dog!!

Nine months of intense work, I eventually sold her to an Elderly couple for the obscene price of $500 (five -hundred)

I know, I know....Superman never made any money. LOL

Why, because I play with dogs as a hobby, not a living.

And we have sold dogs for as high as $20,000, and they were worth it.

Would you be happy if your dog could perform like this dog below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am5SU8Dev2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEIUjbZ0F9k

I don't think those folks could train your dog and you , like this one in 15-20 hrs. But, I could be wrong.

And I don't consider this dog a PPD, she is more of a Family Protection Dog in my mind.

Take your time and ask around, I'm sure someone on this Forum can help you find a good trainer in your area.

Kim
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:11 PM

Fodder- Read what has already been said.

What you, or I or Steve etc. think is a PPD is like Night and Day.

Let the OP answer the questions that were given to him, in response to his post and then we can talk about cost.

Seem reasonable?

Kim
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:41 PM

both understandable and reasonable. I'm also recognizing that to a novice - a short video of a dog biting wether it's IPO1, MR2, PSA3, your version of PPD or mine or Steve's... it may all very well look the same.

but you're right, I'll await more info...

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:53 PM
Banned

PP is not my thing but what I'm pretty good at is recognizing good information when I see it!

And Pirates Lair fits in that category! If the OP's goal is a PP dog in "my view" the OP would do well to consider "Pirate's Lair" advise!

If I were looking for a PP dog I would consider him a good source of info! Of course if that were my goal?? I'd most likely want to use a Female, 100 %, American Boxer and he'd most likely say "forget it!?

Shameless plug at it's finest yes ... but I'm "usually" right!

Carry on all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page