No training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

No training

I've always wanted to know if my dog would protect me, he's had no training. But he's very alert when on walks but greets people nicely. I wanted to know what your opinion was if I had someone pretend to attack me ? Will it affect him ? I just wanted to see what he would do, not rely on him to protect me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Knighted Member

I wouldn't do this. What if your dog actually bites the person who pretends to attack you? Take him to a trainer that does protection work and have him evaluated.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Crowned Member

I think that would be incredibly stupid. If you want him trained in protection, find a trainer. Bringing out his suspicion without teaching him when to shut if off is setting him up for problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

I was gonna have it be a trainer who had the equipment under his clothes in case of a bite. I just wanted to know if its a good idea or will it affect my dog ? I don't want him to think he has to always bite someone that walks up.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:03 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

How old is your dog? No trainer that understands aggression and protection in dogs would agree to put your dog through this.

If this person is a trainer and has all the right equipment, take your pup to him to be evaluated appropriately. An experienced person can tell a lot about a dog during a proper, safe evaluation. Doing what you are planning on doing can make your dog over-reactive and an unpredictable biter (if he doesn't just shut down).

A lot of protection training is building confidence in a dog. Testing them at that level without previous confidence building training is setting them up for failure.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:09 PM

If you get a good trainer you can train your dog to not be anxious around every person that walks up. If you get a bad trainer your dog could become potentially dangerous. This isn't something you should take lightly. If you seriously want to train your dog to protect you it will take weeks of training with a good trainer and true dedication.

When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?

Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Banned

Lawsuit waiting to happen if you proceed with the stated course of action! Any "trainer" willing to that with this dog?? Is someone you should stay well clear of! Either do it right and that involves a serious commitment in time and money!

Or work with a rescue to rehome this dog and pay for a fully protection trained dog! There are no shortcuts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:32 PM

This is definitely not how you go about training a dog for protection. In this scenario he very well could bite the attacker. This is not a good evaluation and it will not give you peace of mind because the dog is not still not a trained dog. By doing this you could end up with having a dog that is known (confirmed it yourself!) to bite and could be a risk to anyone. Putting him in these scenarios without proper training he might lose trust in all strangers and be a problem for you going forward.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:51 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Bad idea. But IMHO, not for the reasons stated. I would be worried that the dog would be setup for failure, be unprepared to follow through and would then have learned to be scared.

If you are interested in protection work, set him up for success. Teach him to be confident and to win a fight.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanyshowdogs View Post
I've always wanted to know if my dog would protect me, he's had no training. But he's very alert when on walks but greets people nicely. I wanted to know what your opinion was if I had someone pretend to attack me ? Will it affect him ? I just wanted to see what he would do, not rely on him to protect me.
He may switch teams and bite you. This was from 4mos ago. Did you try it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page