From IPO to PP - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

From IPO to PP

I'm an IPO nut. I train for it every day with my Mal. He has not done anything outside IPO. However, I personally like a dog that can do the real deal too. As such I have begun dabbling in some PP scenarios.
It's a lot to think about. Not just biting, but significant environmental challenges as well.
What if the bad guy throws something at him? What if he tosses liquid at him? What if he doesn't have a whip and doesnt present his arm?
If a dog has been seeing the same picture for his entire life (IPO field, blinds, sleeve, whip etc) and is used to biting and showing aggression only in that venue how will he transfer those behaviors to a different picture?
This is video of my male Mal. He was exposed to a suit once before 3 weeks prior in a different PP scenario. So this is his second time on a suit and first time dealing with these environmental stressors.
All in all while I want to see more strength in certain areas it was a decent showing. I will be working more environmental stressors into future scenarios to build more confidence and strength.

Our main focus is still ipo but it's good to branch out .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsaW3QCN_ww

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Continuation of scenario 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ty50LLHKsU

I should also mention I tried to remove all cues that would lead the dog to expect any kind of bite work. No harness, e collar, no prep.
Just a leash and flat collar.

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Definitely noted a huge difference in a dog prepped for bite work via having his gear put on and hearing other dogs go first vs no cues whatsoever. My goal is to eliminate as much of that as possible from this dog. Social to aggression, obedience to aggression and so on.
This boy is a monster on the ipo field when I activate him but the lack of bite work off the field definitely led to some holes in his game. He is not as comfortable in his aggression off the field as I want to see. But im thinking time and experience should cure this.
Plan on doing some work in rooms and darkness then hopefully graduate to passive decoys.

Bastian the Beast

Last edited by Blitzkrieg1; 07-21-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Crowned Member

If a dog has genetic fight drive and enjoys it, there should be no problem transitioning to personal protection. I know sending a dog on a passive decoy or turning them on when there is no reason to may be a bit confusing to an IPO trained dog.
The 'protection' is not whatsoever the same because IPO is completely obedience based and the handler is always the one directing the dog, not the dog deciding when it is time to act/engage.
I haven't cue'd my dog to do protection in a long time, though he knows when he comes out after obedience it is usually for protection. Once they get to a certain level in the training, it is fun to make up scenario's and let them use their own discretion.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-21-2015 at 07:46 PM.
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 09:59 PM
Banned

Why would sending a properly trained IPO dog onto a passive decoy be confusing?
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

because the decoy is not facing the dog, but walking away...no threat to the dog. If an IPO dog has never seen this, yet commanded to packen or politically correct 'go' it may not know what is asked and why it should 'go' because in IPO that exercise is never executed.
edit to add; there is also no sleeve presented or present, it is usually done on a suit or hidden sleeve. Not many IPO trained dogs will engage without equipment to target.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-21-2015 at 10:13 PM.
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Banned

So the definition of "passive" is walking away, no sleeve, and all the other stuff you mentioned?

What do you call a helper in the blind not doing anything?
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Banned

Also, in regards to PP, why would you need your dog to go after a person walking away and not posing a threat?
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Crowned Member

the discussion is personal protection, and how it carries over, a helper who is passive in a blind is much different than someone who is not posing a threat, not facing the dog at all, not showing anything more than possibly slowly walking away, which in real life could be a reason to send a dog to stop that person, not so much to take that person down, but stop them.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-21-2015 at 10:25 PM.
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
The 'protection' is not whatsoever the same because IPO is completely obedience based and the handler is always the one directing the dog, not the dog deciding when it is time to act/engage.
Re attacks by the helper. No command and he better engage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page