protection training on my own?no partner no classes... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

protection training on my own?no partner no classes...

hi...i want to start training my gsd female at 5 mo for protection...she is already very active...and also agressive..and a perfect guard dog for home....i want to train her further...for protection and also perfect guarding...so she barks on anytime on anyone when i command her,,so she attacks any person whom i want her..and can know when their is trouble and make action on her own...the problem is here in our city there is not dog kennel or dog class..infact i think not in whole country that i know of and we are in remote area,,,,and i dont have anyone who can assist me so there is only me and anna my gsd female...she already barks on door knocking or when i make any weird sound when she cant see me...and barks and jumps alot when sees a cat or birds inside house...outside home she does not mess with anything..but she gets friendly to many people outside.....how can i train her for protection and attacking?remember it is only me and my dog?thank you so much...i want her to be professionaly trained protection dog....thank you....any suggestions,videos,are welcomed....and she still disobeys me some times....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 05:45 PM

She is a baby, slow down. She will not be a full adult in body and mind until 24 months of age. Take your time and do it right.

Being friendly with strangers is not a problem at this age. You want her to grow up to be confident and ignore her surroundings unless asked. She should not be barking and attacking everything she sees, period. Free puppy videos: https://leerburg.com/flix/category.php?categoryid=26

First you need to start with building a relationship with her and then work together with her on obedience. https://university.leerburg.com/Mast...id/6/view/self

Watch everything you can by Michael Ellis & Forrest Micke. There are free videos, streaming videos and DVDs you can purchase: https://leerburg.com/flix/index.php

There are more of their very good online courses you can sign up for and work through with your pup: https://university.leerburg.com/
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer53 View Post
She is a baby, slow down. She will not be a full adult in body and mind until 24 months of age. Take your time and do it right.

Being friendly with strangers is not a problem at this age. You want her to grow up to be confident and ignore her surroundings unless asked. She should not be barking and attacking everything she sees, period. Free puppy videos: https://leerburg.com/flix/category.php?categoryid=26

First you need to start with building a relationship with her and then work together with her on obedience. https://university.leerburg.com/Mast...id/6/view/self

Watch everything you can by Michael Ellis & Forrest Micke. There are free videos, streaming videos and DVDs you can purchase: https://leerburg.com/flix/index.php

There are more of their very good online courses you can sign up for and work through with your pup: https://university.leerburg.com/
Good post.

If you're not a pro, don't try to train your own dog in protection. You're looking for trouble.

A German Shepherd who is bonded with the family will naturally be protective when they are grown -- yep, 24 months.

A friendly pup will more likely be a confident dog.

People that fear dogs will give a GSD wide berth and those that don't, can injure any dog.

No dog is match for a gun.

Please get professional help.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
...the problem is here in our city there is not dog kennel or dog class..infact i think not in whole country that i know of and we are in remote area,,,,and i dont have anyone who can assist me so there is only me and anna my gsd female......remember it is only me and my dog?thank you so much...i want her to be professionaly trained protection dog....thank you....any suggestions,videos,are welcomed....
Thanks Anne. Don't think anyone can go wrong with Ellis and Micke...

Just wanted to highlight that the poster mentions there is very little to no professional help in his country. Hope the links will be of help to him and his pup Anna.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Banned

Uh "NO just "NO!" The shelters are already full of human aggressive, fear biters! They don't need another one!

If you want a protection trained dog... work with a club and learn!

Buy a fully trained dog!

Buy a gun!
Wolfhund likes this.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

Be careful, too, of who you have do this. But certainly not you without a trainer.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Crowned Member

IMO it is impossible to properly train your own dog in protection. Real protection anyway. The last thing I want is my dog thinking it's ok to bite me under any circumstance. Not to mention, protection is a team effort. If I'm playing the "bad guy" then how much conflict am I creating between my dog and myself.

Where is your general location?
Wolfhund likes this.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

thank you all....you were really helpfull...i cant write your names in this one paragraph to thank you...and i know iknow that a pupp is a pupp...protection training is only succesfull when done after 1.5 years old...and i did not actually mean to train her for a war...infact like a guard dog and so she would be my guard outside...trust me guys..people here say that gsds are stupid...they cant fight,they are poor,just for beauty and a little barking...well it is very wrong...i also want to show everybody that a gsd is more than their stupid,stubborn and rabid dog breeds..and i mean it...b/c a dog who can kill his own owner is not a dog...and here are no guns,not people killing each other,very social,very friendly...i think i should have said more of a guard dog for home,,,and outside to,,,so that she would follow me anywhere ,and she would not be scared of high sounds and people scaring her and guys throwing stones at her,and couple of bullterrier dogs would not kill her...annd it all happens here...and most important here there are a lot of robberies happening at night and somehow dogs let the robbers go and dont even bark..of course i dont want anna to do the same...many gsd of other people also did it b/c they were just agressive not protection dogs...and guys if our dog bites someone like an intruder it is not a problem both for us and legally....well here is the part that is base of my wishes that fixed 1 year ago one of my neighbour guy was killed at 12 pm at day....i dont wanna get killed like this b/c my dog will think the killer of a friend and then it is over...i want my dog to take our protection as duty so that she does not run off with shepherd a guy to guard his sheep..
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

thank you guys...i know a lot about dogs here...well right now i am asking you about advanced stuff and there are a couple of guys asking me for helo about their dogs in generall...so long story ver short..is there any thing i can do to star building a wanna be protection,loyal and guard dog inside my 5mo gsd female baby pupp???and thank you for your advices..i am not gonna force my dog anyway so dont worry...is their anyway that in future m pupp does not get used to someone who visits a lot...and bark everytime her???but she gets friendly..even if i say get them she just looks at me and remains silent but barks at everything else and everytime she is not supposed to bark???thats it.....gsds adults or pupps and human babies below 6 are same...and she actually attacks me like in real and even bites but knowingly very softly when we play and also when she is in play mode..she has a lot of prey drive..she is obedient,active and guarding and aggressive when strangers come..she has all the qualities found in gsd working with military.,so i did not want her abilities and talents to go in vain just like what is happening to me....and how long will she have her gay tail???that is all i want to know
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 04:23 AM
Elite Member

You should check out some of the Bart Bellon stuff. You won't learn much from a 5 minute clip but it'll give you some techniques to give more intensity. He has a few hours of discussions at seminars as well on the tube which are worth listening to.

Please note that he is a trained professional and is teaching his dog do a lot of skills and building up the dog from a young pup to be tough and expressive but under serious control. If you aim for ferocious barking with out the control you can be in danger of getting redirected on. In general you should go back to basics and read some schutzhund and protection dog manuals and see what training is involved. Dog behavior and training methods are essential to anybody interested in training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvPY3KpL2h8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kctgWNTWft0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZtY5whRpT4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page