Let's talk about PPD Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
R-a-m-b-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 156
Let's talk about PPD Dogs

This dogs will protect you in any cost.
But what would they do when you tell them to "Stay" when they are out of your eye sight and a stranger walks by and grabs their leash/collar?
I think that some dog's may resist and even bite when other dogs would just walk with the stranger.
What do you guys think? is there any method that
teaches PPD dogs that only their handler or other family members can hold their leash?
R-a-m-b-o is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
i don't have a PPD but i taught my dog not to move if someone picks
up his leash and tries to move him. teaching him not to move if someone picks
up his leash and pulls on it or offers him treats or calls him by name was part
of teaching him to stay.
doggiedad is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,466
Why would you let him out of your sight? Or...
Not call him back to you?
Kat
KatsMuse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
how do you know if he's out of my sight? why do i need to call him
back to me if he didn't move? double smile ya, ,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatsMuse View Post
Why would you let him out of your sight? Or...
Not call him back to you?
Kat
doggiedad is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,466
LOL!
DoggieDad...Not you, sugar!
I was talking to RAMBO there...he mentioned letting the dog out of his eyesight and a stranger approaching.
I'd recall the dog, personally. Not tell him to "stay" , out of my eyesight.
JMO.
Kat

Last edited by KatsMuse; 09-14-2013 at 08:08 PM.
KatsMuse is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
R-a-m-b-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 156
Let's just say you had to get something from your nearest grocery store and they won't allow you to get your dog inside, so you had to tell him stay outside the store.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
R-a-m-b-o is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 05:01 AM
Moderator
 
David Winners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-a-m-b-o View Post
Let's just say you had to get something from your nearest grocery store and they won't allow you to get your dog inside, so you had to tell him stay outside the store.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Horrible idea. Give some guy 10 bucks to grab your milk.

Let's say for arguments sake that the dog would resist being taken and would also protect himself. Some 13 year old kid comes up and pets the doggie and decides to check his collar for a tag, or take him home so his mom can call the owner. Bad day for little Tommy, who was trying to do the right thing. Bad day for you and your dog, who now gets euthanized because he was doing the right thing as far as he understands.

What if some less than upstanding citizen decided to steal the dog and got bit. Would he say in court that he was going to steal the dog, or that it attacked him while he was minding his own business? And now his neck is injured and he has PTSD.

IMHO, the only time a dog should bite without command is in defense of the handler, and there are valid arguments against that training as well.

David Winners

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
David Winners is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 05:46 AM
Crowned Member
 
Konotashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
Horrible idea. Give some guy 10 bucks to grab your milk.

Let's say for arguments sake that the dog would resist being taken and would also protect himself. Some 13 year old kid comes up and pets the doggie and decides to check his collar for a tag, or take him home so his mom can call the owner. Bad day for little Tommy, who was trying to do the right thing. Bad day for you and your dog, who now gets euthanized because he was doing the right thing as far as he understands.

What if some less than upstanding citizen decided to steal the dog and got bit. Would he say in court that he was going to steal the dog, or that it attacked him while he was minding his own business? And now his neck is injured and he has PTSD.

IMHO, the only time a dog should bite without command is in defense of the handler, and there are valid arguments against that training as well.

David Winners
I second this all, 100%.

If you know you're going to be stopping somewhere where your dog can't go in, don't take your dog. Or drop the dog off at home and go to the store.
Heck, even have a remote starter for the car so you can leave the dog in the car with the car running with the A/C on for the dog.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
i love it when you call me "sugar".

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatsMuse View Post
LOL!
DoggieDad...Not you, sugar!
I was talking to RAMBO there...he mentioned letting the dog out of his eyesight and a stranger approaching.
I'd recall the dog, personally. Not tell him to "stay" , out of my eyesight.
JMO.
Kat
doggiedad is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Moderator
 
JakodaCD OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Old Lyme, CT USA
Posts: 21,382
KM LOL, doggiedad LOL

I agree, Unless my dog is IN my site at all times, I'm not leaving him/her on the sidewalk while I run into a store. To many variables.

Mine isn't ppd trained, but I can tell you, if I DID do that, you'd have a heck of a time getting her to go with you

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome