Should I encourage it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Should I encourage it?

One day I decided to see maya´s reaction if I was being ´attacked´ so i held on to her leash tighlty and my friend acted as if he was beating me. maya growled and barked and tried to get to him... when we make noise just playing around she tries to join in but nothing agressive... I liked that behaviour, i will feel quite safe walking around knowing that my dog is able to defend me.. but the other day a woman came to ask me for a lighter ( she did not aproach me in a nice way, i even thought of saying go find one some palce else) as she reached for my hand Maya started to growl, I made her sit and when the woman tried again maya started to bark... I then said, well maybe we better not try and walked away.
Do you guys think i should worry about it? that maybe it could get out of hand one day? so far i kind of like it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Master Member

IMO (granted this is an uneducated opinion) I think that she has potential, but it needs to be guided from you. Perhaps a command to watch, and just watch, for situations like yours with the lighter---and an "on guard" for more threatening situations, sort of a "You might need to step in, but listen for the command"; and finally a "rip the holy muscle out of this guy, I'm being attacked" command???? Perhaps shutzhund training?

My Metro was VERY protective...I once parked infront of the 7-11 doors before work in the morning to get some coffee, left him in the car and went in. On the way out, someone was blocking my path and wouldnt let me out (in an aggressive manner, trying to hit on me) and Metro slammed into the windshield of the car going CRAZY rocking the car back and forth--was enough commotion to get the guys attention and gave me a clear path of escape! When out for bed time walks if strangers were coming and I tensed up because I didn't know them or have never seen them in the neighborhood Metro would stand infront of me, ears up, stock still watching until they were down the block and I said "ok!!!!" then he would go potty. When my son was about 2 I was waving a book at him (the wind was making him hold his breath and then laugh)...Metro stood between us and gave me this look that said "Hello, Idiot, stop, you might hit him!"...ha ha ha
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the reply =]. Metro seems to really want you protected haha and i think it would have been a really cute situation what he did with your son =].
I have been thinking of some training on that with maya. I talked to the PD here and they said she can join next semester. So hopefully that works out. for now I guess i should just try to keep it under control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Banned

don't test your dog with someone that she's in contact with.
find a professional for PP training. everybody wants a dog
to protect them. i think as owners we need to protect our dog's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaland View Post
One day I decided to see maya´s reaction if I was being ´attacked´ so i held on to her leash tighlty and my friend acted as if he was beating me. maya growled and barked and tried to get to him... when we make noise just playing around she tries to join in but nothing agressive... I liked that behaviour, i will feel quite safe walking around knowing that my dog is able to defend me.. but the other day a woman came to ask me for a lighter ( she did not aproach me in a nice way, i even thought of saying go find one some palce else) as she reached for my hand Maya started to growl, I made her sit and when the woman tried again maya started to bark... I then said, well maybe we better not try and walked away.
Do you guys think i should worry about it? that maybe it could get out of hand one day? so far i kind of like it...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Do you think she could hold some sort of grudge over him? and like I said i will. I´m just waiting for next semester to take her for the tests
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Crowned Member

I think your dog is fine, reacted appropriately and you should leave this alone. Mothers don't have to be taught to be mothers, and your dog sounds good and sound....leave it alone.....she will be there for you if the need arise.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Knighted Member

yes dont call wolf because shes going to see it as a game, just build her confidence and keep working on your bond with her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page