Solution to Strangers Trying to Pet My Bite-Trained GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Solution to Strangers Trying to Pet My Bite-Trained GSD

Zeus is in bite-training with an instructor and he's become a bit suspicious about people who directly approach him. The worst are the neighbors who saw him when he was a delightful puppy and think he's still that innocent and approachable. He's NOT!

I'm tired of trying to convince people that it's dangerous to approach the dog and being ignored. Zeus growled at a woman and her daughter who approached him today. I can't take the chance he might snap at someone.

So, here's my solution...the text on the front and back are the same but there's a graphic on the front of a GSD. The text reads:

DO NOT APPROACH DOG!!!

PROTECTION TRAINED!!!

LF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Do Not Approach Dog Proof_Page_1.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	79354  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Elite Member

Assuming people read... But most don't.

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

I guess I can just...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandMattie View Post
Assuming people read... But most don't.
...point at the text and commandingly make the demand, "READ THIS".

LF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Banned

Sounds like you're raising an excellent ambassador of the breed...a dog that would bite a perfectly harmless mom and daughter.

Protection should only be when necessary...not to keep a 10 foot radius around you at all times because your dog will bite everything in its path.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 PM

I think a harness on him that says do not touch or similar would be a better idea and are widely available online if you don't want to make your own or need an idea. Most people are probably to busy looking at your dog to read what is on your shirt.

I have never had a problem with just saying don't touch the dog and stepping between the dog and the person the same way I would if I was blocking my dog from a loose dog. You just need to get a little rude

I do this with my puppies and strangers all the time and I have never been unsuccessful with making it understood that they are not to touch my puppy and I assume puppies are much harder to resist.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Elite Member

Hehe. You could.

Or you could just raise your eyebrows at the people and sternly say "He's NOT friendly."

Might not do much for the breed's reputation, lol, but I bet it would be pretty effective.

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Knighted Member

While I do agree people should not just walk up and pet any dog without asking but I don't understand why your dog is growling at people or deciding who is a threat. That is your job.

Am I to understand that if I start doing bite work with my dog he will exhibit mistrust and anxiety in all people around him?

Police dogs do not walk around growling at people.

JMHO

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Elite Member

I think that you should get a muzzle for him.
If he growled at a kid and a mom who were harmless that's a little dangerous. People 99% of the time won't approach a dog with a muzzle either

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Sounds like you're raising an excellent ambassador of the breed...a dog that would bite a perfectly harmless mom and daughter.

Protection should only be when necessary...not to keep a 10 foot radius around you at all times because your dog will bite everything in its path.
Hyperbole.

LF
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Crowned Member

I hope you have very good insurance because this is an accident waiting to happen...and that is definitely not hyperbole.

I don't know what kind of training your dog is getting but if he is growling at people who are not a threat then he shouldn't be getting that kind of training. A clear-headed, confident gsd will naturally protect her/his people when a threat is present. If your dog is perceiving all people as a potential threat then he is neither clear-headed nor confident. If this were so then working police and border patrol dogs would be unsafe around the general public.

It doesn't matter what type of clothing you wear or sign you put on him. If he bites someone, you will be held liable.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page