Protection and .... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Protection and ....

Can a GSD do protection plus something else. Because of a very bad experience with our family and an ever present threat of harm to my kids I am very much in need of a protection dog. But that is not all I want him to do. I don't want to over burden him but I'm just not sure he will be content with just one job. He is a very high drive dog and I don't want him to be bored.

I have thought about doing search and rescue with him, but I'm not sure the 2 skills would go together. I have no idea what he can do that would mesh well with protection training. I don't really need him to have another job per say, just something to help keep him from getting board. Any ideas?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kolt Ammo Vom Geschenk "Ammo"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ammo Spikey Dog Brinx "Brinx"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

I'd do nosework/tracking or scent detection, many SAR groups won't accept dogs that are protection trained.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Knighted Member

You need a professional trainer to train you and the dog for this type of work.

As many GSD's as I've trained, I would never consider myself qualified to teach this sort of task.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
You need a professional trainer to train you and the dog for this type of work.

As many GSD's as I've trained, I would never consider myself qualified to teach this sort of task.
I am definitely going to have a pro train him for protection. I'm just wanting to find something else he can do along with the protection work so that after he is finished with protection training he won't get bored.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kolt Ammo Vom Geschenk "Ammo"

Ammo Spikey Dog Brinx "Brinx"
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Knighted Member

Then how about just being his friend and do things with him?

He doesn't have to be on the clock for his entire life. Walk him, teach him to fetch, teach him things you want him to do while you are together like fetching the morning paper, answering the door, etc.

It sucks retiring knowing no one needs you for anything.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Crowned Member

Training a dog in protection and then maintaining the protection training can be enough to keep the dog from getting bored. It's not a send the dog away for three weeks get him back and he's all done. It takes some time then needs to be maintained to keep the dog sharp. Of course you can do other things but you don't have to do it to keep the dog from getting bored. Also as mentioned, a lot of SAR teams won't allow bite work. I have been turned down by two SAR teams due to bite work.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Very few SAR teams will even waste their time responding to someone who wants to do SAR so their dog won't be bored.SAR is not about finding something to do for the dog and you and he are going to be away from your kids for many many many hours often in the middle of the night (THE best time for hunting for missing people*) if he were working.....It is an extreme commitment on your part. Very hard on any family because, I swear, calls often come at the MOST inopportune time for you and your family. Nosework would be fun and something the whole family can participate in and would be fun but I am not sure if the protection training will get him un-invited to any classes . Personally, I would not train a dog to do real protection work other than dogsport ... it presents a serious liability. You may also find yourself out of a homeowners insurance policy. A lot of us have high drive working dogs and they don't need a job-the need your time and engagement and excercise and you can do that without any kind of specialty discipline. All I have even wanted from a GSD in terms of protection was a good alarm bark. If you really need genuine protection for the kids I would be coming up with another plan. The real bad guys have guns and knives and may not be put off by a trained dog....unlike the garden variety thief.If you do, do protection training he is not ever "finished" with it. There is a lot of work to maintain a protection dog. *thinking wilderness SAR looking for folks lost in the woods, autism kids, nursing home walkaways. Oklahoma seems to have more than its share of disasters so you might be gone for lengthy deployments were you to do that kind of stuff.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am going to apologize about the lack of paragraph breaks. I put them in and for some reason I can't edit them back in. Never had that happen before! I know my paragraph all runs together.

Edit attempt just to see if I can edit THIS one.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 05-27-2013 at 06:35 AM.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Crowned Member

SAR is not something you dabble in on the side, it's really a full time commitment and many teams won't even look at your dog until YOU have passed a certain level of training.

I would think anything *but* SAR would be OK for your dog: Schutzhund, agility, nosework.... My dogs cross-train in several different venues. They are not "personal protection dogs" but I do Schutzhund (and SDA when I can).
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Elite Member

Why not prepare YOURSELF to handle a threat. Doggiedad had a good quote in another thread. "If I need protection from something, than my dog probably needs protection from it too." Or something along those lines.

Protection training is training the dog to deal with the PRESSURE put on it from a threat....to do that the dog is taught under pressure and threat...obviously this is a dumbed down extremely-over-simplified, description, and it's a slow, building-up process, with rewards and praise along with everything else(all about balance). The dog will be taught to latch on in life-death situations, being ready to self-sacrifice, for you and your family. This is intense training, that will take your absolute involvement. I only give this serious description because of how flippantly you mentioned SAR. SAR is an intense commitment....not something, "to keep a dog from getting bored."

To me my dogs are an auditory alert, and visual threat. That's enough. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page