PPD's vs Sport Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

PPD's vs Sport Dogs

I have been watching a lot of youtube videos lately( I don't know why, they usually anger me) and I keep hearing all these protection trainers say they train PPD's not sport dogs. They say it so derogatory like sport dogs are not trained to bite. Now I have only visited a handfull of clubs from different protection sports but I really am not sure what they mean. Do the majority of protection sports not really train dogs to bite? What are some of the training differences between a PPD and sport dog? From what I see in videos is a lot of the same stuff being done. So now I'm confused. I figure it was on the internet so it must be true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe because they feel their training scenario's aren't pattern type training? I don't know, I train my dog in IPO and he isn't what I'd consider a sport dog, he'd probably do better in the SDA, KNPV or PSA style of training.
I think they are all trained to grip/aggress/transition?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Maybe because they feel their training scenario's aren't pattern type training? I don't know, I train my dog in IPO and he isn't what I'd consider a sport dog, he'd probably do better in the SDA, KNPV or PSA style of training.
I think they are all trained to grip/aggress/transition?
That's the way I see it. In my SchH and SDA clubs, we don't train much pattern at all. In my SDA club, they say once the dog has figured out the "pattern" it's over. So we train the scenarios but in different orders and change up what's happen in it a little. Actually we are trialing this month and have worked a pattern only a few times. My GF is trialing Heidi in two different classes and so she could practice, she worked the patterns with dogs that had already done it. Both of the clubs I attend don't train all in prey. They prefere active aggression from the dogs. They also don't tolorate equipment oriented dogs. As helpers we are often working a dog without any gear (except maybe a stick/whip) and then grab whatever is close (sleeves and suits are scattered all over like a war zone) to give a grip. We also don't only train on a field. We will work where ever someone wants. We just like to play. I think we only use the titles for some type of structure haha.

Last edited by mycobraracr; 04-01-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

On another note, I would think even PPD's train scenarios. Trying to expose the dogs to as many different "pictures" as possible right?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Crowned Member

I've only done the pattern once and that was last week at training. I need to do it a couple more times(without my dog!) before we trial so I know it better.
My dog isn't equipment oriented whatsoever, but doesn't bite dirty either, and yea, training in different locations/scenarios is best. I wish there was an SDA trial nearby, they've become far and few between.
Last year I did a protection K9 challenge, and never worked my dog in any of the exercises they suprised us with. For never doing any of it, my dog did me proud. He'd only been on a suit a couple of times, they offered the sleeve so he didn't target their body/armpit.
It was a blast and I look forward to it this year. http://s207.photobucket.com/user/ony...-9%20Challenge

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 04-01-2013 at 06:37 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I'm having a lot more fun in SDA. I'm still doing IPO for the sake of doing it and because it's the most recognized.

Just find people that want to train SDA and do it! Rules have changed and you don't have to be an affiliated club to hold a trial anymore. Even my IPO club is going to hold an SDA trial this year.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Crowned Member

What if my club isn't affiliated with any organization? But we are all in the SDA database? We'd just need to bring in a judge?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
What if my club isn't affiliated with any organization? But we are all in the SDA database? We'd just need to bring in a judge?
Yes just a judge and certified decoys. You might be supprised how many people would show up as well. My group is going from CA to TN for a trial. Like you said not too many trials, so when one comes up people go!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

Our club members have(had) two certified decoys, I think they are up for re-cert. Hmmm, I'll bring this up at training. When UKC split from SDA it downward spiraled, sadly.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Our club members have(had) two certified decoys, I think they are up for re-cert. Hmmm, I'll bring this up at training. When UKC split from SDA it downward spiraled, sadly.
Yes and now they are actively trying to get it going strong again. I have been trying to spread the word and get more groups holding trials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page