Zoey - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Zoey

So we train obedience on Saturdays and I stayed after class since the protection class is right after... I just wanted to watch and have always been interested. A few dogs go out and hit the sleeve while I'm talking to everyone and since it was free for the first time, I decided to give Zoey a shot at it. All we did was work with the bite pillow since it was her first time and the first time my trainer swung it around Zoey just looked like, hmmm i think i want to bite that... next swing SHE TURNED ON, like shes been doing it for years! The drive this dog has is a bit ridiculous and I felt like shes done it before.

FYI, I adopted Zoey 9 months ago as a companion and she had some issues with her. I don't think well continue with it just yet as I want to work her obedience and manners but I would LOVE to harness that energy and drive she has for some type of bite sport. My biggest obstacle is the wife not wanting an aggressive dog especially one that has already went after someone. (long story) What are your thoughts? Everyone I talk to encourages it since it will bring the bond closer and what not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 PM

First, I would determine what your end goal with the dog is.

Sport is sport.

Personal protection is personal protection.

There is some crossover, but both are their own "animal".

Interests:
Police K9/Explosive Detection/IPO/Ring
Working GSD/Malinois

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Hey Tim, I really don't know the the end goal with her is, I just don't know enough about either to determine what I want. The wife says "I don't want Zoey in PP class because I don't want an aggressive dog" I encourage her that her being a PPD wouldn't make her anymore aggressive then she already is, and if anything, will make the bond greater between us and harness all that energy. What are your thoughts?

Zoey is a dog we will have to manage as is, she went after one person, bit my buddy in the arm that was following close behind me at night through the door (she released immediately) and she gets nasty with my little brothers friends but I think it's because there high all the time.

I agree, I dont want an aggressive dog but i really enjoyed the PP class. With Zoey's past history, I don't know if it would be a good thing for her and a bad thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM

Depending on the trainer, and the individual dog, usually proper training will make the dog more controllable and predictable.

Sometimes it's a matter of the dog learning that there is an appropriate time for working, and a time for not working.

If you use the analogy of the sport of Boxing, or Martial Arts of any kind- it teaches control, and appropriateness, not lashing out in an uncontrolled circumstance.

Sounds like she's a little sharp, so an experienced decoy will work her all in prey, and minimize raising her aggression level, which she probably does not need.

Be sure to instill obedience and control- you don't want to create a monster.

Interests:
Police K9/Explosive Detection/IPO/Ring
Working GSD/Malinois

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for the response Tim, makes sense now. I remember your name now Workingdogforum.com I just joined there as well. I'm confident in my trainer, I seen his dog in action on Saturday and his Dutch Shepard was insane. Now i need to figure out what our goal should be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page