Tougher than it looks (video) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Tougher than it looks (video)

I often run Kimber through any scenario that I can come up with and that we can run safely. She always does them without too much effort. Last night wasn't the case. This is the first time in a very long time that I actually had to break it down and show her the picture. I'm not exactly sure what it was, and I'm sure if I just sent her it would've gone differently, but for safety of the decoy that wasn't an option.

Scenario: Passive decoy under a tarp in a field at night. Sounds simple enough. Kimber does a lot of passive work. This time was a little different. I think on the first attempt she got a mouth full of tarp so she spit it and was trying to find the "bad guy". Unfortunately, I can't let her do that and risk biteing the decoy in the head, hands or feet. So I pulled her off and reset. Second attempt was better, but she still was hunting for the decoy and I really wanted her to just stick where I put her. Here is a video of our final round. I was happy with this one and will expand on this scenario in the future.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

That looked fun. I remember watching you play with the puppies on a tarp and thinking it was a great idea, because those tarps get used everywhere and make all sorts of scary noises and movement.
Was she trying to move the tarp in earlier attempts? Or just trying random bites that you felt were unsafe? Because I have worked with a couple of dogs who would have moved the tarp.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
That looked fun. I remember watching you play with the puppies on a tarp and thinking it was a great idea, because those tarps get used everywhere and make all sorts of scary noises and movement.
Was she trying to move the tarp in earlier attempts? Or just trying random bites that you felt were unsafe? Because I have worked with a couple of dogs who would have moved the tarp.

I think she was more trying to move the tarp to get a good bite. The problem is she was moving up the body. I didn't want her anywhere near his head/face. Too hard to see, and predict exactly what she was going to do. I don't really question if she will bite or not, but I don't want to hurt my decoy's. We will take some risks in my club, but always calculated risks.
Sabis mom likes this.

T17 Working Dogs-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I think she was more trying to move the tarp to get a good bite. The problem is she was moving up the body. I didn't want her anywhere near his head/face. Too hard to see, and predict exactly what she was going to do. I don't really question if she will bite or not, but I don't want to hurt my decoy's. We will take some risks in my club, but always calculated risks.
Something I noted when Sabs was working, and I have no idea how your dogs live at home. Sabi always woke me up by "finding" me under the blankets and pillows. I realized at some point that at work when people were hiding under stuff she employed the same tactics, which in our case could be dangerous for her. But try as we might her go to remained rooting around under stuff to get to the person.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Something I noted when Sabs was working, and I have no idea how your dogs live at home. Sabi always woke me up by "finding" me under the blankets and pillows. I realized at some point that at work when people were hiding under stuff she employed the same tactics, which in our case could be dangerous for her. But try as we might her go to remained rooting around under stuff to get to the person.

Haha Kimber doesn't do that. Now Xander on the other hand does and thinks it's funny. Kimber is usually good about not messing with the blankets. Shoot last time we were camping, I drug her under the blankets to cuddle me for warmth haha. She was hot and panting and I was shivering. She did her job though.
Sabis mom likes this.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Banned

Are the noises the decoy’s make just to amp up the dog? Or are they really hurting? Or a bit of both? Always been curious about that. I’d imagine even in full bite gear, they would still experience some pain from force?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
Are the noises the decoy’s make just to amp up the dog? Or are they really hurting? Or a bit of both? Always been curious about that. I’d imagine even in full bite gear, they would still experience some pain from force?

He is feeling her. Kimber regularly punctures through the suit That being said, Tino is tough dude and willing to work any scenario no matter how stupid haha. So in this case I asked him to make some noise. We originally were going to have him 100% passive, but since we struggled a bit on this scenario, I wanted Kimber to get a big win. So I asked him to make the noise to let her know she was getting him good and to continue what she was doing. Does that makes sense?

We feel the dogs in the suit. Any decoy worth a darn uses a thin suit so the dog can feel him under it. We want dogs to hunt for the man, not material. I have scars from dogs puncturing through. It happens sometimes.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Quote:

He is feeling her. Kimber regularly punctures through the suit That being said, Tino is tough dude and willing to work any scenario no matter how stupid haha. So in this case I asked him to make some noise. We originally were going to have him 100% passive, but since we struggled a bit on this scenario, I wanted Kimber to get a big win. So I asked him to make the noise to let her know she was getting him good and to continue what she was doing. Does that makes sense?

We feel the dogs in the suit. Any decoy worth a darn uses a thin suit so the dog can feel him under it. We want dogs to hunt for the man, not material. I have scars from dogs puncturing through. It happens sometimes.
Makes perfect sense. Except the part about being a willing decoy 😂. Tino deserves crazy respect for that!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Makes perfect sense. Except the part about being a willing decoy 😂. Tino deserves crazy respect for that!
Haha yes he does. The reason I'm on Kimber the way I am in the video and have my leg where I do is to keep her from transferring down to his foot where he isn't protected. We are teaching dogs to bite, but that doesn't mean we don't try and do it safely.
Sabis mom likes this.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:41 PM
Crowned Member

I like watching her work. You are a good team. I’m confused by a previous question. Doesn’t she know the difference between a working bite going after the decoy and someone at home under blankets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page