Tougher than it looks (video) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
The reason I'm on Kimber the way I am in the video and have my leg where I do is to keep her from transferring down to his foot where he isn't protected.
Thanks for explaining that part. I thought you might have been on her in some type of 'touch exposure while biting' exercise but I felt silly asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I like watching her work. You are a good team. Iím confused by a previous question. Doesnít she know the difference between a working bite going after the decoy and someone at home under blankets?
I don't know about Kimber, but Sabs knew the difference. It was simply a default behavior, she was still going for a bite she just used a technique that worked for uncovering a target. In our case it was dangerous since on occasion the "target" was armed.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:04 AM
Banned

I’d be doubly SOL if I trained Lyka. I sleep with my feet hanging off the bed uncovered. If Lyka has to go out in the middle of the night, she licks my foot once and does one whine. If she thought I was a decoy, bye bye feet! Lol
Sabis mom and Orphan Heidi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I like watching her work. You are a good team. Iím confused by a previous question. Doesnít she know the difference between a working bite going after the decoy and someone at home under blankets?

Absolutely! It's all about context. This is also where temperament comes in. But dogs are contextual creatures. Kimber knows what we are going to be doing weather bite work, ob, searches or just walking and hiking around by both the equipment on her as well as how I cue her up when I get her out of the truck. That doesn't mean that I don't occasionally change things up so that there is less equipment bias, but she can tell based off my demeanor as well. Not to mention giving the right commands.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

You can tell she loves her work.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 01:36 PM

Very nice training and good on you to use your imagination to prepare for the unexpected. Too many dogs are just trained on a sleeve, and then put on the street. I've seen dogs come off a bite because of a rain coat. It's good to see how she overcame the strange feelings and committed to the bite.

Kudos for keeping your guy safe too. Those habits come from hard learned mistakes, at least that is how I seem to learn them.

Is this her first time biting through the tarp and not just playing around with it?

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
Very nice training and good on you to use your imagination to prepare for the unexpected. Too many dogs are just trained on a sleeve, and then put on the street. I've seen dogs come off a bite because of a rain coat. It's good to see how she overcame the strange feelings and committed to the bite.

Kudos for keeping your guy safe too. Those habits come from hard learned mistakes, at least that is how I seem to learn them.

Is this her first time biting through the tarp and not just playing around with it?

Thanks brother! This was her first session biting through the tarp. This isn't the first bite. On the first one, she bit and spit it out and started trying to get under it or bite somewhere else. I didn't want her to shift up to his face or anything. So it took a little bit to get her to just bite and stay where I put her. So I started with her in a down next to his knee, and the decoy halway exposed. Then slowly covered him more and more. She eventually hit solid and worked a bite through the tarp for a couple minutes. Once she figured out what I wanted, she was golden. So that's when we did this video. So this was the best one of the night after working through the others. We did four bites in total to get it here.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 01:59 PM

That's the way ya do it! Nothing like successive approximation to teach something incrementally. Let the dog figure it out in baby steps and gain confidence that they are doing the right thing.

Kimber always looks solid. I love a strong female.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
That's the way ya do it! Nothing like successive approximation to teach something incrementally. Let the dog figure it out in baby steps and gain confidence that they are doing the right thing.

Kimber always looks solid. I love a strong female.

Thanks! I'm definitely biased, but she is a super nice female. Everyone who's worked her has loved her. She's just solid all around. Good nerve, super social, good with other dogs as well. She's just a good well rounded dog.

She's usually so solid on stuff, that I can't remember the last time I had to beak something down for her like this. And again, I think she would have bit fine on the first one, but I couldn't risk the decoy. I've had my fare share of crappy bites and situations lol.

Since Kimbers back injury, her sport career is over, but we can still do a lot of fun stuff like this. Do more PPD stuff. I don't want her launching, so most her bites will be close, on lead and lower body these days.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 02:18 PM

That's wise. I had to stop bite work all together with Fama because she just wrestled so hard that she would still end up hurting her back and paying for it for a week.

It's funny how something that you think should be simple for the dog can become a challenge. It just goes to show how differently our minds work. It's the willingness and ability to figure out the challenge with the dog that makes a good trainer.

It probably wasn't any type of reluctance to bite on the first iterations, but rather her reluctance to screw up. It just took a minute to figure out what daddy wanted. Then it's game on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page