Rally Signs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By kaydub_u
  • 1 Post By Thecowboysgirl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Rally Signs

I down loaded the signs from the AKC website. Planning on having them printed (I don't have enough yellow and red ink) and laminated. Is there a cheaper way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:09 PM

If you were looking for a place to do it, I think Staples could both print and laminate them for you. If there is one around you. Also, I think Office Max/Depot as well.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:16 AM
Crowned Member

I bought a little laminator and made a whole set of WCRL signs for myself and a whole set of ASCA signs for a friend and it didn't break the bank. I don't honestly remember what a paid for the whole thing but it was way cheaper than buying pre made signs.

They come out a little flimsier than the premade signs but they work just fine for practice. I printed the ASCA signs in black and white.
wolfy dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:09 PM

Now go to a few rally events and pick up the course maps. You can lay out your own courses then and practice on them. Try for correctness and good elapsed time.

You can work into this by just laying out signs and moving from one to next. Again correctness and speed. Make it really fun for your dog.
I practiced like this with my Aussie so I could walk fast and perform quickly. My Aussie is 58 pounds so big for the breed but extremely quick acting and very agile. Your GSD should have equally fast stride but may be a little slower doing the exercises. Not that they can’t be quicker but it’s more difficult to get this. JMHO.

Locally at least a third of the entrants will score perfect so ET is the winner. I’m kind of a hard core player and push myself and my equipment ( dog in this case ) to the limit as I have done in all sports I’ve played in. Just scoring perfect and getting that ribbon isn’t enough, I like to be number one. I don’t care for fame and glory, it’s the internal feeling of accomplishment. Ego? Naahh, it’s not that either.

Unfortunately I sustained a serious head injury and the doc said no more sports, physical or mental, not even tiddly winks. So now I have a nice high powered dog but worn out trainer.

Good luck in your sport, it’s a lot of fun both the event and training.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:34 PM
Master Member

I was just watching a friend finish her Rally Novice title this weekend. Looks like so much fun! I’d love to get into later after Ryka has grasped more Schutzhund basics.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:53 AM

It’s great that you have the time and desire to train and enjoy your dog. I wish I could be your dog.LOL. Rally is supposed to be lots of fun for both of you.

One important thing you will have to work on is commands. You are only allowed one command for IPO/Sch. Rally encourages extra commands and you are not penalized. You will have to keep this in mind as you train. IPO is much more formalized, even your positions. In Rallly you can use hand signals but only in select exercises in IPO.

Most of my current “street wise” training employs a single command however I often use “conversation” commands when we are just doing things. Like “let’s check out your squirrel” , “ all right, get over here” when she gets the long leash tangled. Or “let’s go to the car”. Some dogs can handle this if you have a very close bond.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwings1 View Post
It’s great that you have the time and desire to train and enjoy your dog. I wish I could be your dog.LOL. Rally is supposed to be lots of fun for both of you.

One important thing you will have to work on is commands. You are only allowed one command for IPO/Sch. Rally encourages extra commands and you are not penalized. You will have to keep this in mind as you train. IPO is much more formalized, even your positions. In Rallly you can use hand signals but only in select exercises in IPO.

Most of my current “street wise” training employs a single command however I often use “conversation” commands when we are just doing things. Like “let’s check out your squirrel” , “ all right, get over here” when she gets the long leash tangled. Or “let’s go to the car”. Some dogs can handle this if you have a very close bond.

I use a single command for every training situation, always have from the very beginning. She knows we are 'in business' vs casual situations in which she actually seems to understand complete new sentences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page