Rally information - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Rally information

Hi, I am looking into maybe doing rally. I don't have a GSD yet, but I am planning to get one sometime. I am basically looking for any info on rally, especially Jr. rally, so that I can learn about it and decide if I want to do it with my future pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:11 PM
Master Member

Do you know which organization(s) you want to compete in? In the US, the American Kennel Club is seen most often, but the United Kennel Club, the Australian Shepherd Club of America (you don't need an Aussie to compete), World Cynosport Rally Limited, Canine Works and Games, and (in a limited area) Wag-It Games also offer trials. Plus, there are at least two online organizations that offer rally titles, Cyber Rally-O (my preference) and Cyber K9. All of the organizations have more information on their websites, except for Cyber K9, which is currently run through a Facebook group.

For any organization, taking a class would be a good idea. Even if they class only covers AKC rally, the basics are the same, with some variations in the technicalities.

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

Make sure you find a sound gsd with a good nerves and temperament. Shows can be crowded, lots of people and their dogs moving about in close quarters, not a good place for reactive dogs. Rally is not difficult to get started, there is probably an AKC club not too far away and if not there are other options as leorose mentioned. Go watch a few show and see what they’re about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I will look into online rally, but I would probably do AKC rally.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:43 PM
Crowned Member

Rally is fun. As far as I can tell from my local obedience clubs, it's more popular than traditional obedience with a lot of people.

in my area, there are tons of rally classes, rally run thru's, and rally trials. Check with all your local kennel clubs, I'm sure you can find classes to help you get ready.

I've done WCRL rally and obedience in ASCA and AKC. All fun-- I will say WCRL is super welcoming, helpful and supportive to new competitors.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Rally is fun. As far as I can tell from my local obedience clubs, it's more popular than traditional obedience with a lot of people.
I've heard this from several people, that Rally O is more fun, but I don't really get it. Both seem to have a lot of heeling and siting. Is there any clear difference between the two?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 12:15 AM
Master Member

Obedience, especially AKC, is very formal, there is a lot of emphasis on precision, and you are dinged (sometimes to the point of an NQ) for extra cues. In rally, you can have unlimited communication with your dog, and there isn't as much emphasis on precision. For example, something like a slightly crooked sit that would be a half point deduction in AKC obedience isn't considered scorable in AKC rally. In AKC obedience, you can use one cue to begin heeling, and your dog needs to automatically sit whenever you stop moving. In rally, you can tell your dog that they are doing a great job as you heel between stations, and cue a sit when a station calls for a sit on a halt.

Also, obedience is the same old same old, every. single. time. you go in the ring. Sure, you might get a judge using an interesting heeling pattern, like a diagonal, but you still know exactly what you are going to be doing every time you step into the ring. Rally courses are almost always different from day to day and judge to judge.

Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRose View Post

Also, obedience is the same old same old, every. single. time. you go in the ring. Sure, you might get a judge using an interesting heeling pattern, like a diagonal, but you still know exactly what you are going to be doing every time you step into the ring. Rally courses are almost always different from day to day and judge to judge.
Now this is an interesting point. Are you saying that in obedience the tasks are the same each time, whereas in rallyO, you won't know exactly which tasks are to be performed until informed by the judge on the day? That does sound a lot more interesting.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 01:13 AM
Master Member

When you go into the AKC novice obedience ring, you know it's going to be Heel on Lead, Figure 8, Stand for Exam, Heel off Lead, Recall, Stay get your Leash, and Groups, and always in that order. In AKC novice rally, there are 10 to 15 stations per course, and not counting Start and Finish, there are 40 different signs approved for novice classes. You won't know what the judge is going to use until you get the course map and do your walk-through the day of the trial.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:27 AM
Crowned Member

The only thing is, if you plan to do both you might just want to watch how you train because dogs can struggle going from rally to obedience but usually not vise versa. I have a friend whose dog has become a little dependant on the talking in rally and in the ob ring he loses engagement because she isn't talking to him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page