First Rally class - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

First Rally class

Deja is 5 years old and I haven't done much formal obedience with her besides a basic class and some agility in her first year. Whatever I did teach her over the years was done in games, on hikes, in daily life etc.
I took her to a Rally class for the very first time for both of us and she did awesome. All the skills she learned fitted together like a jigsaw puzzle in a very new surrounding. Since she is nicely obedient, also in close proximity to other dogs, I didn't have any problems with my shoulder injury. It was some getting used to for me though in figuring out the exercises but I think we will continue. She was very perky and engaged, something I had not expected. Flirting with a male Labrador (she is close to her heat), giving him a quick illegal lick over his nose when he passed her by but remaining in her down-stay ( I never told her that she couldn't extend her neck )
I was mostly impressed how she put her obedience skills to use. It showed me that daily life is the best teaching opportunity.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 12-01-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Crowned Member

Congrats to lovely Deja for do so well at her first rally class ! It just goes to show that all the training you do with her on a daily basis really prepares her for enjoying new activities. That's also great you can find a class that you can do while your shoulder heals and is fun for both of you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 05:33 PM

yeah, it is so much fun to get out and do things together and set goals and chat with other dog people, etc. And come home with funny stories like sneaking a kiss.
wolfy dog likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 10:20 AM

Congratulations on joining a really fun dog sport. Do go to some trials to see what goes on. They donít offer a critique like Schutzhund and IPO but you can get a feel of what it takes to participate successfully.

I have a very high drive Australia Shepherd. We went to classes for quite awhile. As well as practiced at home and various other locations.
The first year I went to 6 or 7 trials. In every one there were multiple perfect scores with elapsed time deterring the winning order. All that passed received ribbons.

Each trial had at least one trainer from the various training centers we go to. I thought they would be the instant winners however that was not the case several did not pass mostly due to handler errors. One trial had 6 perfect scores out of 18 entrants. All at least passed.

Being in competitive events most of my life I began working not only on perfection but speed. This involved knowing each sign and proper entry and exit on to the next. It can be a little confusing until you actually try them. I set several signs in various orders to practice correct handle moves as well as dog moves. It helps to have a dog that is really focused on you. Quick sits, stands, and positions from motion are important too. My Aussie can run really fast and we worked on change of speeds as you can lose much time here. We also worked on doing the signs fast. Quick sits, position changes, call to front, and finishes both left and right.

By the time I felt ready for the first trial we were able to score perfect nearly every time if I didnít mess up. My Aussie was like a Mal in a smaller package. Our elapsed times were plenty good enough for wins.

Then I got injured in a fall at home that has has taken me out of this altogether.

Since you are just starting be aware that many classes are based on run through with individual help. Most of your training is up to you. Get a full set of signs so you can practice. Do practice at various locations. We found it helpful to go to ongoing obedience classes to practice moves. We did the class work too but added our own things. Healing and being around other dogs is important. Healing backwards and back steps and side steps are something you donít see in classes but itís fun to add your own.

Have fun and good luck.
wolfy dog likes this.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwings1 View Post
Congratulations on joining a really fun dog sport. Do go to some trials to see what goes on. They donít offer a critique like Schutzhund and IPO but you can get a feel of what it takes to participate successfully.

I have a very high drive Australia Shepherd. We went to classes for quite awhile. As well as practiced at home and various other locations.
The first year I went to 6 or 7 trials. In every one there were multiple perfect scores with elapsed time deterring the winning order. All that passed received ribbons.

Each trial had at least one trainer from the various training centers we go to. I thought they would be the instant winners however that was not the case several did not pass mostly due to handler errors. One trial had 6 perfect scores out of 18 entrants. All at least passed.

Being in competitive events most of my life I began working not only on perfection but speed. This involved knowing each sign and proper entry and exit on to the next. It can be a little confusing until you actually try them. I set several signs in various orders to practice correct handle moves as well as dog moves. It helps to have a dog that is really focused on you. Quick sits, stands, and positions from motion are important too. My Aussie can run really fast and we worked on change of speeds as you can lose much time here. We also worked on doing the signs fast. Quick sits, position changes, call to front, and finishes both left and right.

By the time I felt ready for the first trial we were able to score perfect nearly every time if I didnít mess up. My Aussie was like a Mal in a smaller package. Our elapsed times were plenty good enough for wins.

Then I got injured in a fall at home that has has taken me out of this altogether.

Since you are just starting be aware that many classes are based on run through with individual help. Most of your training is up to you. Get a full set of signs so you can practice. Do practice at various locations. We found it helpful to go to ongoing obedience classes to practice moves. We did the class work too but added our own things. Healing and being around other dogs is important. Healing backwards and back steps and side steps are something you donít see in classes but itís fun to add your own.

Have fun and good luck.
Sorry about being sideline with injuries and hope you have healed. I have not gotten a perfect score as Zoey likes to bump and make contact while heeling -1, -1, -1, I enjoyed rally, but never took it too seriously, my wife does and some judges certainly do though. Rally is a good sport to get people interested in working with their dog and much of what we've learned has translated well into the outside world too, have fun with it.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

I had tried rally my instructor said they could get a title on max in our first lesson. It was just not for me.
wolfy dog likes this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Elite Member

Congrats!! Sounds like it'd be fun to try out! Sounds like she really enjoyed it!! Glad your shoulder is getting better!!!
wolfy dog likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

Rally is fun, we did a lot of it. I feel a little Rally'ed out at the moment. Decided to do AKC OB with my white dog instead for now. Was pleasantly surprised how nice people were at our first AKC trial, I was sort of expecting a bunch of snobs but people were nice -- the ring steward helping me figure out when our run was going to be, and even just people being friendly and saying nice job who I don't know.

I might do some ASCA rally next year, I don't think I will try for an ASCA CD because I don't really have an opportunity to train for the stays and they do them the way AKC used to, still.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:35 AM
Elite Member

I love the fact that with all the time you and she spent together training and playing etc that at age five you have found a sport that seems to fit perfectly. Big congrats to both of you.

I got a chuckle about her "neck extension". Reminded me of go-go gadget. (Cartoon character) Lol.
wolfy dog likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:49 AM
Elite Member

That is awesome! Im sure you really enjoyed it How is your shoulder? And things with Griff? Sorry if I missed an update.
wolfy dog likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page