First Rally class - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I had tried rally my instructor said they could get a title on max in our first lesson. It was just not for me.
Over the years I found that I enjoyed whatever my dogs enjoyed. I never thought I'd enjoy lure coursing until I released my Whippet for the first time at a training. Because of their passion for chasing and running I was hooked too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Crowned Member

I just did not like reading the signs that was not for me. I felt I was so focused on the sign thing. I can be a spaz. It why I did not like rally. It was complete me. I like obedience and nose work I did not think I would like herding as much as I did that sure was an experience I learned a lot from. Yes there passion can get you hooked. Max sure was my first dog that did bring me out of my comfort zone he was like a sponge and I needed to learn a lot more. i never did anything with my dogs just taking them out beaches trails parks etc. s
wolfy dog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
i never did anything with my dogs just taking them out beaches trails parks etc. s
Rally is only one hour a week, the rest we spend our time like you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Quote:
i never did anything with my dogs just taking them out beaches trails parks etc. s
Rally is only one hour a week, the rest we spend like you do. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/doggyplayball.gif[/IMG]
It’s grand when you find something you like with your dogs. Nose works was two to three hours a week / one class but much of it was watching other dogs. I have to say was my favorite and really help build a strong bond besides my off leash adventures which Include scent work with my nifty nose work scent tube carrying keychain!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Deja is 5 years old and I haven't done much formal obedience with her besides a basic class and some agility in her first year. Whatever I did teach her over the years was done in games, on hikes, in daily life etc.
I took her to a Rally class for the very first time for both of us and she did awesome. All the skills she learned fitted together like a jigsaw puzzle in a very new surrounding. Since she is nicely obedient, also in close proximity to other dogs, I didn't have any problems with my shoulder injury. It was some getting used to for me though in figuring out the exercises but I think we will continue. She was very perky and engaged, something I had not expected. Flirting with a male Labrador (she is close to her heat), giving him a quick illegal lick over his nose when he passed her by but remaining in her down-stay ( I never told her that she couldn't extend her neck )
I was mostly impressed how she put her obedience skills to use. It showed me that daily life is the best teaching opportunity.
Well said!

Glad you are enjoying Deja and vice versa.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page