How old before first trial? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lhczth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

How old before first trial?

Posting this in the Rally/Obedience forum, but I'd love to see ages (of the dog and/or handler) of any title or formal accomplishment you've gotten with your dog(s), including CGC, Rally, Obedience, IPO, Tracking, Herding Test, whatever. Just interested in seeing the range.

I think I'll try for the CGC after the new year, so at 1 year of age. Informal goal of our first Rally trial next summer/fall around 18 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Elite Member

Scheduled to do BH and AD weekend after Thanksgiving, he will be 17 months Good luck on your journey!

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to gbeck
Smile

My Anneliese earned her CD title last fall at the ripe age of 7 1/2 months old. She did it in 3 shows and placed in each one! So proud!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:26 AM

Title age

I should have tested my dog in the Good Canine Citizen whilehe was 18 weeks old when I got him (He used to be quite and polite andanimals/noise didn’t bother him). Obedience training classes has made him hyper (go figure). It's hard toget him to sit with meet and greets (the jumping bean is his new nickname) andmaybe the fact he is going thru his terrible teens (10 months old now). My pupis not a bitter nor aggressive in any way that I have ever seen no matter whatthing/person/animal/bug crosses his path so Schutzhund training is not in hisfuture but he does like sent work if he would just calm down a bit (I doexercise him before class as well and he mostly calm, quietly lies down in hiscrate at class and match shows for a couple of hours and just watches the showwhile I am volunteering)

Last edited by dojoson41; 01-03-2019 at 02:32 AM. Reason: proof reading, words jam up togather when I post
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:51 AM
Crowned Member

In IPO or whatever it is called this week, 18 mos min for BH and no other trials until the dog passes the BH. Got one dog out at 2.5 years for her BH, one about 2. Back when I was trying AKC obdience, I don't remember how old they were when we first entered.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:40 AM
Crowned Member

I started competing my one in rally at about 9 months.

I think it depends on the dog and depends on why you are competing. I wouldn't want to put too much pressure on a baby but if you are having fun and they are having fun and they can perform at that level then why not
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:52 AM

Katsu got her TKN (Novice Trick Dog title) at 6 or 7 months and her RATN (Novice Barnhunt) title at 10 months. She placed 3rd twice and 2nd once for Barnhunt. She got her ORT Birch at 11 months and from there we had to wait until 1 year to compete in NACSW Nosework trials and FastCAT. AKC Scentwork was new in the area so we didn't get to compete until after a year (the minimum age is 6 months).

Steel is 23 weeks. I haven't really done much with him yet aside from basic obedience at home. I may try rally with him. His main sport will be IPO/IPG (min age 18 months for BH) or some other protection sport so we have a while before he titles in that.

My shiba didn't get his CGC until the ripe old age of 3. Mainly because I was putting it off for so long under the impression he would fail because he's a shibe. He's an unofficial therapy dog for a local senior center now.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
In IPO or whatever it is called this week, 18 mos min for BH and no other trials until the dog passes the BH. Got one dog out at 2.5 years for her BH, one about 2. Back when I was trying AKC obdience, I don't remember how old they were when we first entered.
Actually the minimum age for the BH is 15 months.

The youngest I have titled a dog was Elena's BH done at 16.5 months. I did Nike's SchH1 at 23 months.

I think Tara was 22 or 23 months when I finished her CD. She was the youngest dog in our large obedience club that year. I remember we got a plaque for it. LOL Treue was 23 months when I did her BH and then just over 2 when I finished her CD.
dogbyte likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page