Competition Obedience ~ Tips? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By Curing
  • 1 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Competition Obedience ~ Tips?

I think I just tried to post and failed, but if this is a double post I apologize!

So I recently found out that we have a canine sports center right here in my town, I've only lived here for a little over a year but definitely wish I knew sooner!

As soon as I found out I registered my dog and then about 3 days later (Yes... it took me 3 days), I signed her up for a beginners nosework class. WELL a day later I decided that I competition obedience seemed more like something she would enjoy, plus I've been really looking for something that will help with building her confidence level AND give her a job as she's not very solid in nerves or least this is what I've gauged.

After we got evaluated we were able to switch classes and jump the pre-req class for it.

After watching some videos I really feel like Alyska is ahead of the learning curb so I'm feeling pretty confident (and super excited) about starting those classes and really wanted to hear about other peoples experiences and tips for jumping into it, especially when it comes to showing and titling!

I literally feel like a child about to go to my first day of camp with how excited I am! I'm just trying to soak up all the information and advice I can get before classes start next Thursday so tell me whatcha got!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 10:26 AM
Crowned Member

Advise....You have fun. Make it so your dog is having fun. The energy you put in will be the energy you put out!
Nigel and Curing like this.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Advise....You have fun. Make it so your dog is having fun. The energy you put in will be the energy you put out!
Thank you! I'm so excited. I've always wanted to get into sport but we didn't have any centers like this from where I moved from so I never saw it as a possibility. I really hope my dog likes it as well, I can really see this making our bond so much stronger
Jax08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 03:10 PM

be patient. Don't compare your novice dog with those who have been at it for awhile (easier said than done) and be a good team player. You will probably be spending a lot of time with the other folks taking the class and the more you get along and help each other the better. Finding a good group of humans to work with is key! And if someone can snap a photo or two, or a video even better. Not so much to share but so that you can see yourself better. It is a good tool to have. (but if you want to share we'll be glad to see them)
Curing likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
be patient. Don't compare your novice dog with those who have been at it for awhile (easier said than done) and be a good team player. You will probably be spending a lot of time with the other folks taking the class and the more you get along and help each other the better. Finding a good group of humans to work with is key! And if someone can snap a photo or two, or a video even better. Not so much to share but so that you can see yourself better. It is a good tool to have. (but if you want to share we'll be glad to see them)
Thank you for the tips!

I've already started building a relationship with the trainers and really hope to build them with the other students as well so I can have more contacts in my life who are doing the same as us, but everyone seems really nice and helpful and I did meet some people when I went to orientation, being around other dog owners helps me really open up and be social.

I'll definitely remember to be patient, I work my dog a lot just for our own benefit and have never been one to push her and she picks things up pretty fast so I feel like she'll be the one who has to be patient with me haha.

I've only ever competed with horses so this is all new for me and I ultimately just want to learn from and watch the more seasoned folk, luckily I'm able to sit in on classes so I'll definitely be doing that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page