heeling question - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

heeling question

Since I plan on competing in obedience with my GSD when I get her I have been watching some videos. I have noticed that during the heel exercise the a lot of the dogs are looking up at the face of the handler the entire time. Why? Is there an actual purpose to this or is it just more of a training preference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Crowned Member

Are you planning to do AKC obedience?

I talked to some people about this because I was seeing alot of head straight up, high prancy heeling. My dog is just not a dog that this is going to come naturally to as far as I can tell. There seems to be a bit of division between people who like that type of heeling and people who like a more natural looking heel.

My dog does a more relaxed, natural heel, and he does have eye contact on me most of the time but he also knows where he is going. He does not have the extreme high head carriage like you see on some dogs. It works fine for us. I guess a lot of the eye contact is to show focus on the handler, but only the correct position of the body is required in AKC (I don't know about IPO).

We were just talking about genetics in sport in another thread. I have a picture that a photographer took of me competing my dog at a trial. There is a picture of his sire on the breeder's website competing, and their heel, head position, ect, is almost identical even though I and the breeder don't train together or even amongst the same group really.

I am not sorry this is the type of heel I have with him because he is also training ti be a service dog and I use his OB foundation for that and that prancy super high headed heel would be useless to a service dog....impractical in a lot of ways
Muskeg likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Depends on if you are watching AKC competitive obedience heeling or Sch/IPO focused heeling.

AKC competitive heeling

IPO focused heeling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 01:23 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

The dog looking at the handler is for focus. If the dog is looking at you, they are not looking around being distracted. If they are looking at you, they are ready and waiting for the next command. Once that foundation of focus is in place, everything else just falls into place.

I come from IPO, and decided to try rally for something to do in winter. With only two or three practice sessions with the different signs, a friend and I entered a trial and had no problems (with the dogs - me doing the signs correctly is another story).

You could see the difference between the dogs that have been trained for eye-contact heeling, and those that have not. Those that did not have that focus were very distracted by smells, sights and sounds, and the handlers struggled to keep their attention.
mycobraracr likes this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

I plan on doing AKC obedience.

I guess that makes sense, if the dog is looking at your face the entire time they wouldn't be as distracted. It just doesn't seem natural to me, don't get me wrong I am not against it, just doesn't look comfortable for the dog.

Most of the training I have done has been training puppies to get ready for guide dog work. They definitely don't want them looking at the handler, heck even their heel position is different to accommodate for the harness. So competitive obedience is going to be different for me!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Once you get your puppy, contact an obedience club in your area, check with the local kennel club if you don't know where one is, they'll know. They have classes and can help you. It's a lot of fun.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
You could see the difference between the dogs that have been trained for eye-contact heeling, and those that have not. Those that did not have that focus were very distracted by smells, sights and sounds, and the handlers struggled to keep their attention.

Rally is 'fun' obedience. It's more people who don't want to do the serious obedience.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:51 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Sure it is for fun! And I was just answering Jessoca's question about why some dogs are looking at the handler and the difference I saw in the trial I was in.

All the focus training I did was with toys and fun engagement play. You make it sound like training focus is a death march for the dogs. But it does come down to what you are training for, and your preference also.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Crowned Member

Both of those dogs are focused heeling, the head position is just different. One is targeting a place on the left side of the handlers body where the reward comes from, one is oriented on a line to where the handlers left hand is from the direction of the leash corrections.

Doc

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 03:28 PM

I do AKC obedience and Rally.It makes no difference if the dog watches your leg or your face as long as he's in position and focused.It works better for me if he watches my leg just because if we keep looking at each other I tend to turn at the waist towards him,which in turn makes him want to sit facing me instead of lined up properly.He could use a better handler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page