Beginner Novice OB - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Beginner Novice OB

So we are taking a beginner novice class not with the intention of competing,but to keep progressing on Samson becoming more comfortable with people.I was hoping he would tolerate sitting and standing for exam by the end of eight weeks.The first week he backed away and made a horrible face.Week two horrible face but stood still.Fast forward to week five two trainers and two unfamiliar people touched him.He looked unhappy but didn't move a muscle
Everything else is easy for him and he enjoys it so it looks like we will trial after all.It's been satisfying for me seeing his confidence grow.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

That's awesome! Let us know how it goes!
dogma13 likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:56 PM
Elite Member

Love that "everything else is easy for him". With just the one kink to work out, it must have made focusing and time given to it easier for you. Good job Samson! Bet you got a whole lot of "attaboy" pats.

Happy trial journey to you both.
dogma13 likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 07:49 AM
Crowned Member

Awesome, Dogma! I can relate, I have been practicing novice stuff too. I was thinking of starting with CDSP novice but that includes a judge walking around the dog in a stand stay and my boy is like "creeper alert! Creeper alert!" Why is this woman walking around me looking at me!!

He actually does better with the hand on the head in AKC beginner novice because now he knows that is "something people do"

Cant wait to hear how your trial goes!
dogma13 likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Crowned Member

That is so cool, you guys have been blazing many trails! A few weeks ago I watched some obedience trials. I saw one golden retriever take a nap when the owner left the room for 3 minutes- lol!!! Yeah creeper alert haha my same thoughts stranger danger and the dogs lying next to each other would be our challenge. Otherwise we would do it. We are practicing our long down stays. You guys will do great ! Much luck!
dogma13 likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Cowgirl and Jenny,your dogs may surprise you.If they can't do something now,if you continue to be patient and persistent they will do it soon.And yes,creeper alert!Lol!
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Knighted Member

I'm cracking up at the mental image of the dog making a horrible face. I can picture it. It's the ultimate in disdain. German Shepherds are good at stinkeye.
dogma13 likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

Dogma I know you are right...we are practicing with my husband first, him walking around him

He has learned to be fairly tolerant of over the head petting... he doesnt have major people problems. When I had someone walk around him in a stand stay he broke his stay to swing around and remain facing her and I could tell because I know him that he was thinking "whst is she DOING"? I better keep an eye on this one. Whcih I am sure would be an NQ in the ring. So I thought, start with daddy, let him see thst people walking around you in a circle is something that happens.

Also I watched some videos of other people's novice runs and realiaed I had my helper walking way closer to him than she needed to. So that didnt help lol

Last time we practiced I stood next to him with him at heel instead of standing all alone while she walked around us and he was fine with that. I think he will get it...just need some more practice. Among other things his stand stays were kind of weak to begin with and I shouldnt have moved on without fixing that

I think we will start in CDSP because there are some judges that I know from WCRL Rally and they are so nice. I would like to move on to AKC at some point but the kid is young....I have many meany years with him and I know I will feel better about our first couple tries with judges I have met who are super nice people and really just want to help you succeed.
dogma13 likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Crowned Member

AND I was using a foot target to help him for his stay but we have done a lot of circle pivots on the foot target so when he has his front feet on there he is already thinking to swing his butt around. Training fail, self!!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
AND I was using a foot target to help him for his stay but we have done a lot of circle pivots on the foot target so when he has his front feet on there he is already thinking to swing his butt around. Training fail, self!!!
Our trainer starts dogs that want to move by the handler next to the dog holding the collar,next facing the dog toe to toe,a foot away,etc.They usually break the stay at the exact same point each time.So you can watch for it and Eh!I'm learning a lot of little things that make big differences from this trainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
I'm cracking up at the mental image of the dog making a horrible face. I can picture it. It's the ultimate in disdain. German Shepherds are good at stinkeye.
Lol!He was tipping his head back so his front teeth showed,squinting,and sticking his ears out sideways.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page