Help with obedience training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By islanddog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Help with obedience training?

Does anyone have any advice, perhaps an instructional video or website etc. on how to train a good sit in front of you for the recalls and such pretty close with their heads up.

Sorry, I have forgotten the name for this, but I am finding it difficult to teach it well to my dogs and am hoping for some tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 03:00 PM

Run a few steps backwards so she won't start to slow and sit too early.You can use a toy or treat held against your waist for her to touch and then reward her.
I have seen people that first have the dog run between their legs,being lured with a toy "hiked" like a football.Then add a sit command sporadically.Perfect timing required,lol!
islanddog likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 03:18 PM

Probably lots of different ways to do this.
1. Have him working for a toy, put toy in armpit, they look at the toy, when he's in position, mark & give toy.
2. Some people spit treats, seriously, keep them in their mouth, and spit treats, dog learns to watch your mouth (this is too gross for me, I might just finished picking up poop, so not gonna put hotdog bits in my mouth).
3. Teach watch, or look at me command, ie, attention as a separate command.
try kikopups youtube channel for this sort of things, basic attention, basic obedience if you are into motivational training (using treats); I ignore her preachy lectures, but she provides a good refresher on how to motivate dogs to do things for you, including sit front.
4. In the beginning, call your dog, but reward by throwing treat or toy between your legs, dog learns to run right at you. Then when you keep your legs closed, will run up straight and front (I've used this to clean things up and amp things up).
Attention, looking at you, is a basic behaviour you want in most commands (at least heel work).
Oh, 5. If your dog is giving it to you anyway most of the time (and if you're using treats and toys, they usually do) just make sure you don't reward, mark & treat, or toy without them 1st giving you eye contact.
I won't release my current guy from a down-stay until he makes eye contact (only works if they will freely give that most of the time)
That's a start.
enjoy rally-O fun for dogs and people.
dogma13 likes this.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, i'm not sure if I understand what you both mean entirely, sorry
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 02:10 PM

Does your does know how to sit already? Can you lure them into the sit position with your hands? Does your dog know how to recall already and you want to shape the sit behavior once they come back to you?

Sage - Sable GSD - DOB: 8/20/15
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

I taught it by doing a restrained recall and luring with a ball tight to my diaphragm as he came in to lure him and moving backwards until he was straight with me.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

I call it front and it's probably my favorite command. I add side and around to it after they learn it--finishes. I put them in a sit(leash on), step back a couple feet(end of leash), say front and reel them in the first couple times. Then I do all that and kinda move backwards as they are coming. If they are coming at me crooked I also move backwards and lure them in so they are straight.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page