Rally vs. Traditional Obedience - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:19 PM
Knighted Member

From a measurement perspective, I enjoy the idea of Rally. It's a sampling of a particular set of tasks all believed to be at approximately the same level of difficulty. That appeals to me.

But while it kicks our butts because polish is where we struggle, I love the precision of obedience more. It presents endless challenge. I like that. I also appreciate the predictability of knowing that when I walk into the ring to show in Novice someday, I have a very good idea of what the course will be. I won't have to worry about that aspect.

And for a sport, right now we're kind of Nosework obsessed, and she's good at it so far, so while we won't stop in obedience, I don't see adding a second sport of any kind for awhile. Or ever. We'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I never really enjoyed Rally. Loved agility but no time with IPO training.
Jax
I didn't know what IPO meant.

IPO stands for Internationale Prüfungs-Ordnung. IPO

now if i could pronounce it. lol
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

As for agility, I just don't think my boy is cut out for that. My old girl would have been a spitfire in her younger years, holy cow was she athletic.

The boy? Not so much. When he is trotting straight forward he does have a lovely fluid gate, but watching him chase a ball he just isn't especially quick or light on his feet. It is hard to explain but I just would really doubt he would do super well or even enjoy agility that much. But he isnt even a year yet so who knows, he may get more nimble? He is only just kind of outgrowing flumpy-ness Maybe I am just not used to the way he looks: he is an 80+ ASL equivalent (he is a white), she is a 65 lb WL ball of muscle (or was in her heyday)

Selzer, I really appreciate your description and perspective. I actually wondered about those group stays & whether anything went wrong in the way of a fight. I have worked mighty hard to protect my kid from bad experiences with other dogs & I would be devastated if it happened in an OB ring. Don't know how common that really is, though?

One other distinction that occurs to me is that it seems rally is something you can practice for by yourself (at least I have), obviously I couldn't train for those group stays without a class.

Right now I feel like I might like to try traditional OB at some point but only if I can get over my own nerves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

And let's not get started on AKC versus other venues like CDSP, WCRL, or worse yet, online titling venues like CRO and NCO. I mean, everyone knows that anything you can do via video is "worthless". Funny thing about that... someone in the NCO Facebook said that her dogs have multiple high level titles in several different organizations, yet they are struggling with a level 1 NCO exercise. (This was a quotw from earlier, don't know why it isn't showing up with that person's info)

I started doing Cyber Rally as practice. And the old girl...not sure competing in real life is gonna be good for her but she loves doing the courses in our yard. Any little thing is a NQ in CRO! There is no score, you make one little mistake and you're out. And yes, you can just keep trying, but you can keep trying in any venue it just involves more waiting and driving. I'm not convinced CRO is significantly easier. I'm not looking for any special recognition for a CRO title (we have 1Q per dog so far). It's fun. And I have acutally gotten some helpful feedback from the judges on everything from training ideas to our actual performance. Me and my dogs are better for it so you can't tell me there is anything wrong with that
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
As for agility, I just don't think my boy is cut out for that. My old girl would have been a spitfire in her younger years, holy cow was she athletic.

The boy? Not so much. When he is trotting straight forward he does have a lovely fluid gate, but watching him chase a ball he just isn't especially quick or light on his feet. It is hard to explain but I just would really doubt he would do super well or even enjoy agility that much. But he isnt even a year yet so who knows, he may get more nimble? He is only just kind of outgrowing flumpy-ness Maybe I am just not used to the way he looks: he is an 80+ ASL equivalent (he is a white), she is a 65 lb WL ball of muscle (or was in her heyday)

Selzer, I really appreciate your description and perspective. I actually wondered about those group stays & whether anything went wrong in the way of a fight. I have worked mighty hard to protect my kid from bad experiences with other dogs & I would be devastated if it happened in an OB ring. Don't know how common that really is, though?

One other distinction that occurs to me is that it seems rally is something you can practice for by yourself (at least I have), obviously I couldn't train for those group stays without a class.

Right now I feel like I might like to try traditional OB at some point but only if I can get over my own nerves
Yes, you practice group stays, by practicing the stay command and increasing your time with it, and doing it in different locations, and leaving the room when the dog is on a STAY.

Yes, you need to work in a class once a week for some weeks. A class where they do group sits and downs as an exercise each week. But you would practice the stay on your own, for the most part. I had gotten Arwen so good at stay, that I walked into a show and signed her up for the CGC, without ever practicing supervised separation. I just put her on a down-stay, and went and hid behind a vehicle. When they called me back, they said she never moved a muscle. Good Girl. And there were dogs everywhere. Dogs moving are harder to take than dogs all doing their sits and downs.

At another show, a fellow had I think a Portugese water dog on a Sit-stay, and a Ridge back broke his stay and went over to her, and put his nose up under her butt and lifted her out of her stay. LOL. The judge did allow the bitch to redo her SIT STAY and she got her title leg. The boy was disqualified.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findlay View Post
Jax
I didn't know what IPO meant.

IPO stands for Internationale Prüfungs-Ordnung. IPO

now if i could pronounce it. lol
let me help you with that....

.......................eye pee oh......................
selzer, Whiteshepherds and dogma13 like this.

post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Selzer,

That might really help us, the boy loses his mind when I try to leave him with someone.

And he isn't too happy with someone trying to touch his feet either (he has no problem with me doing it)

I guess I raised a momma's boy.

CGC is the next thing on our list....hope to conquer these things in class
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

Regular obedience may be easier than the CGC for you. The one problem some of the less social dogs have is the STAND FOR EXAM. The judge tells you to stand your dog. You give him the stand command and then stay and walk 6' in front (on lead). Then the judge walks up to your dog from the side usually, and touches the head, back, and butt (no feet). The judge walks away, and then tells you to return to your dog. You return and walk around the dog to his shoulder and wait for her to say, Exercise Complete.

Other than that, for your CD, no one touches or even comes near your dog.

With the CGC:
1. They come up and greet you. No touching.
2. They come up and greet you and ask to pet your dog -- they pet the dog on the face, chest sometimes, head.
3. Grooming and appearance -- they run your brush down the dog's back, pick up each front paw, and touch both ears.
4. Sit and Down -- self explanatory.
5. Stay and Recall -- pretty easy done on long line.
6. Loose lead walking
7. Walking in a crowd.
8. Reaction to another dog.
9. Supervised Separation -- someone holds the leash while you go away for 3 minutes. Now they are allowed to talk to the dog, which might make it worse for some dogs. I don't know.

I either missed one or stay and recall are separate exercises.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

CGC is definitely going to be a challenge for us:

He doesn't care to have his ears handled, I think they are ticklish. He will grudgingly let me do it.

He does not care for over the head petting.

Doesn't like a stranger to handle his paws.

Doesn't like to be separated from me. LOL why are we doing this???

Well, sooner or later a vet will have to handle his paws and look in his ears.

I don't need him to be a social butterfly but people love to pet the top of dog's heads and it seems like a worthwhile project to get him to tolerate it as much as he can in preparation for the day somebody just pats him on the forehead
selzer likes this.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I do believe he would handle the CD handling better than CGC.

He is fine with other dogs, fine with heeling through a crowd, the worst he will do if someone reaches straight at his face and he isn't into it is pull back enough to avoid it.

I think (hope) it will be good & worthwhile for him to learn this stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page