Rally vs. Traditional Obedience - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, I am certain that rally is the right place for us right now. I was initially only looking for a hobby for my retiring service dog to keep her excited about life. No doubt she has enjoyed learning the exercises, and it gave us some new things to do when we were in a bit of a rut since I can't play with her like I used to (she has physical limitations now)

I kind of feel like my pup might have a knack for this sort of thing, he seems to enjoy it and it crossed my mind maybe I should take him to traditional AKC OB, his sire was super titled, OTCH, UDX, CDX, among a lot of others tracking titles ect. So I guess the possibility is there that my boy has the genetic stuff to do well at this?

He isn't even a year old yet so I really like being able to talk to him and tell him how well he is doing (although to be fair he seems to be able to maintain his performance for a pretty good stretch with no feedback from me...hard to explain he is just mellow and willing to keep on like he knows he is right and he is just cool with it)

Anyway, I am just very curious about the whole thing...

As I said before, I am a big sissy so I have to work on myself before I could compete in a less supportive atmosphere than rally....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

Personally, I like agility best. People are great and you have so many options for organizations. Look into ASCA as well. They have rally, obedience and agility. DOCNA for agility.

You find snobs in every venue. People are what they are. Just go enjoy your dog, find the group where you fit and have fun.
Findlay likes this.

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Personally, I like agility best. People are great and you have so many options for organizations. Look into ASCA as well. They have rally, obedience and agility. DOCNA for agility.

You find snobs in every venue. People are what they are. Just go enjoy your dog, find the group where you fit and have fun.
Exactly. Have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 03:04 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
As I said before, I am a big sissy so I have to work on myself before I could compete in a less supportive atmosphere than rally....
If you want the MOST supportive atmosphere, find a flyball club. It's all about the fun, and it's an extremely cooperative sport by its very nature.
dogma13, Mudypoz and Casto like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Crowned Member

I do both.

I am better at rally because I have trouble hearing, especially in auditoriums. I can make out what you are saying if I am looking at you, but taking commands from a judge when I am walking away from him is hard.

Rally is fun and I don't need the judge to tell me anything. It is all spelled out for me.

I have put CDs on multiple dogs, and I have put rally titles on more dogs. From a training point of view, I think obedience is easier. If you train the dog to heel, and to sit when you stop, there are just a few more commands, that you must train, and voila the dog is titled. In training classes we train the sit stay and the down stay with other dogs, in rally there is no use for this, in obedience it is one of the tests. Some people have trouble with this, and some people are wary of having their dog attacked.

When I started doing obedience it was rare that a dog attacked during the stays. I think that when the host of Rally newcomers graduated to obedience, there dogs weren't ready and they took them anyway, and dogs that did not belong at a show yet, were in a position to make bad mistakes. That's too bad.

I think too many obedience people look at Rally as people who are not serious about training, kind of like a red-headed step brother -- we know he is there, but we don't talk about him, and amongst our friends and relatives, we turn up our noses, so no one lumps us in with that crowd. And that is unfortunate.

I think some of what is encouraged in rally grates on the nerves of obedience people -- multiple commands and constant talking and praising the dog. What really happens is that it makes it more difficult to train the dog. Those are things serious trainers already know to avoid and watching it from the sidelines makes you want to go in there and slap the owner. And watching some lady bent over with a fake cookie the entire time luring the dog, you feel that dog shouldn't get a placement, that dog shouldn't even be here yet.

So, I mean, I see both sides. The obedience people don't want to waste their time on Rally people because they aren't here for the long haul and they do not seem serious. On the other hand, the rally people are having fun with their dogs, and their dogs are being trained, moreso than what basic obedience training classes will give you. It does promote a relationship with the dog. It has a lot of merit really.

The CD tends to hold more weight than the RN, but the people getting their RN have trained their dogs, entered them, paid, and their dogs have to be able to manage in the environment.

The other thing is precision. Obedience is more precise, or so they say. But no one asks you if you passed with a 170 or a 198. So they scratched half a point here or there for crooked sits, and a few points for getting out of position on the heeling. I am shocked at what actually passes in the obedience ring. A CD is a CD, whether you got 3 blue ribbons, or 3 green ribbons. And when the obedience people turn up their noses at the rally people for what qualifies in Rally, you can say the same out obedience. Only those who are competing against themselves, their score, are actually getting satisfaction.
LeoRose, dogma13 and sebrench like this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

I have not competed in anything but can see myself not hearing clearly what the judge instructs because I would get nervous- my block. Rally looks fun.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Master Member

There are a lot of "old guard" people in obedience. It's the oldest of the AKC's companion events, and for a long time, was the only game in town.

A lot of people who had been competing in obedience for a long time weren't happy when rally was introduced It was looked down on as "obedience lite", and not a "real sport". And oh, wow, the furor that was raised over the last Obedience Advisory Committee..... well, you would have thought that the zombie apocalypse was coming, or something. Those of us who were happy to see the new preferred track classes introduced were treated like we were singlehandedly going to dismantle the entire world order.

And let's not get started on AKC versus other venues like CDSP, WCRL, or worse yet, online titling venues like CRO and NCO. I mean, everyone knows that anything you can do via video is "worthless". Funny thing about that... someone in the NCO Facebook said that her dogs have multiple high level titles in several different organizations, yet they are struggling with a level 1 NCO exercise.

As for "pure positive" trainers not able to compete at higher levels in AKC... 1) there is no such thing as "pure positive" training; 2) I know of several upper level dogs that are trained with positive, reward based methods, including working on OTCHs and UDXs.

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

Just today, I was looking at the classes offered by the MSPCA and thought the Rally Obedience looked like it would be so much fun.

Here's the description:
Rally Obedience

Rally Obedience is a fun sport that combines the precision of competition Obedience with the fun of Agility.
In “Rally O,” it is sometimes called, the dog and handler learn 13-20 behaviors that are standard Obedience behaviors: come, sit, heel, down, stay, along with different turns, and jumps are added for fun! The challenge is that the signs are laid out in a course (see the signs here) , and the dog and handler complete the timed course in a specific manner with as few “faults” as possible. The owners are encouraged to talk to their dogs and make the experience a lot of fun for all.
Rally is one of the fastest-growing sports in the country. Sign up and give it a try!
(Your dog must, at minumum, be able to sit and walk at your left side to take this class. If you and your dog have not taken a class at the MSPCA before, please email Michalla Bishop for permission to register!)

Sorry, I couldn't access the signs that are laid out.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

Rally was originally designed as a gateway to obedience and agility. But it is not anywhere near agility. Obedience has the same jumps in higher levels. So it is more properly described by "Obedience-light" or as an alternative or companion to obedience.

The idea was that being successful in Rally, people would Rally on toward formal obedience titles or agility.

It would be fun to have a Rally title program that was geared more toward agility. Like:
RN(A) -- Rally Novice (Agility) -- off lead, using the 30 or so RN signs, with at least 5 agility obstacles (A-frame, Dog Walk, Weave Polls, teeter, tunnel, chute, Tire, jump, etc.) interspersed with the RN signs.

RA(A) -- Rally Advanced (Agility) -- off lead, using the added advanced signs with at least 1/2 the exercises being agility exercises.

RE(A) -- Rally Excellent (Agility) -- off lead, using the added advanced and excellent exercises, 1/2 the exercises being agility exercises -- No Signs.

It would be fun.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findlay View Post
Just today, I was looking at the classes offered by the MSPCA and thought the Rally Obedience looked like it would be so much fun.

I never really enjoyed Rally. Loved agility but no time with IPO training.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page