Pretty proud of my dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Thecowboysgirl
  • 1 Post By dogma13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Pretty proud of my dogs

We went to our first rally trial after 4 days on the road in our new camper & all of us exhausted and kind of stressed out.

Met an old friend at the trial & thank goodness she was there because I walked in, panicked and tried to run for the hills. My friend, and a few other people who were there & overheard (it was a small area), convinced me to stay and try. The judge was so nice, everyone was.

We stuck it out, my old gal not only qualified, she got 2nd place. My pup not only qualified, he won his class w/perfect score! He was incredible. It was like he knew people were watching him and he was showing off.

Anyway, I don't expect all trials to be like this...frankly I can't believe I stayed on course because at run thru I skipped about 5 stations without noticing (go me!)

My old girl honestly didn't seem to terribly enjoy it, and she does enjoy doing cyber rally at home, so I am not absolutely sure I will continue with her. But the circumstances were weird and stressful and I still feel we were under prepared, especially her because I had had the puppy out in town practicing more. So I think I will enter her once more and see if she likes it any better when I am (hopefully) less freaked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Knighted Member

Sounds like a good successful day. Feels so much better once the first of anything is over and out of the way!

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:43 PM

Good for you!I'm glad you stuck it out and were victorious
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:06 AM
Elite Member

Aww congrats are in order!

As well as some wine and chocolate for you, and a nice RMB for the pups.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 05:11 AM

You're dogs are obviously fantastic, but it sounds like you might be underestimating yourself. You did great too!

~ Babyawn Bruno Zen (Tchaikovsky) 01/09/2014
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I mean, I knew we could do the exercises at home..but at the event whole different story. My old girl has not been in a group training class or to a dog event in about the last 7 years. I took her to 1 run thru prior to this. I credit her working as a SD for how she performed because she obviously has been out working under distraction her whole life.

They are great dogs.

We are excited to try again, the next trial is WAY bigger (venue, longer ect), so I think I will only enter 1 dog per day to keep from running myself ragged and stressing us all out,
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:51 AM
Crowned Member

Good for you for pushing through! And great job

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

No wine for me, but I did indulge in some Ben & Jerry's

Anyway the next trial we can get to is the end of Jul, so we will be practicing and hopefully getting to run thrus so I hopefully I am not such a nervebag next time.

I am grateful for the one runthru I got to, the trainer pointed out to me that as soon as I entered the ring I kind of froze up and left the pup hanging and consequently he fell apart and couldn't even do a front. So as we were heading in at trial I was able to remember to engage him and be really clear to him what he was supposed to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page