Stupid question? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Stupid question?

I have been watching lots of videos of people's rally runs on Youtube while training my own dogs. I am surprised at what people are wearing in the ring. I even saw some AKC OB videos where people seem to be just dressed in the most casual street clothes.

I guess it was a holdover from my horse show days....blouse, collar, pin, clean breeches, spotless horse...heaven forbid you enter the ring with poop stains on your horse's white socks. But I expected people to look a little n icer when competing their dogs

I mean, I was even planning to buy my dogs a nice leather collar & leash because they usually wear florescent nylon with lots of jingly tags and I thought that was too tacky. But people just go compete wearing whatever, human and dog? Would I look like a snob if I tried to look a little nicer?

This is mostly re: rally videos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

By the way I am meaning the difference between like gym shorts and khakis or graphic tees vs a polo shirt or nicer looking plain shirt of any kind.... ot how they dress @ westminster or anything!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:07 AM

many venues have become more and more casual. I guess most people just want to be clean. My hubby and I have nice leather dress leashes. Collars stay the same, black prong for our two year old and a small silver prong for your baby and their usual martingales as back up...but if they get worn and grungy I eventually get them new collars. I think the collars should stay consistent to what they are doing. They are clues as to what activity the dog can expect.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 AM

I think you should wear whatever you're comfortable in.And something you don't mind being covered with dog fur

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ha! Lol. I use sticky roller on myself every time I keave the house and still somehow I am covered with dog hair. My white shepherd is literally forcing to me to wear colors I don't like as much because his hair doesn't show up as much :/
dogma13 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know squat about rally regs. General AKC obedience used to require a plain leather collar with no tags for the dogs. I dressed to complement the dogs and I gave up my nifty leather collars with fetish bears on them when I saw a judge make a handler change her collar. Other judges hadn't been that particular. But even back when I was doing AKC stuff, dress was getting pretty casual. A friend said to dress to show respect for the judge and that was the criteria I used (except to try and look good with my dog).

With IPO DVG dress regs for handlers apply to the National trial. Club trials - I'm lucky to make it there with the dog and equipment (I've never done a national.) Much more relaxed. I'm not sure about the regionals. National requirement is white shirt with collar & tan or kahki slacks. And at that level they are fussy. (But everywhere is fussy about the equipment on the dogs)

I know of no venue where you can have a prong collar in the ring. IPO it is fur saver; AKC it was plain leather - at AKC you weren't supposed to have a prong on your dog at the venue.

Last edited by middleofnowhere; 04-29-2016 at 02:09 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
I

I know of no venue where you can have a prong collar in the ring. IPO it is fur saver; AKC it was plain leather - at AKC you weren't supposed to have a prong on your dog at the venue.
true, no prongs in the venue itself. We are members of DVG as well and it is fursavers only for trials. Leashes for the BH or for tracking have regs about length and less about material. I've not seen anyone use something other than solid colors.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, I think I will aim for a happy medium, maybe khakis and a polo shirt and plain leather for the dogs. I don't think that is so formal that i woukd stand out. If i were a little bit more of a preppy type person i might just wear that on a normal day.

I really like the flourescent nylon with reflective strips at home, my dogs are out in the woods every day. And at night if they are out in the back yard which is a couple acres I can shine a light up the hill and see right where they are.

I just don't think I'd feel comfortable unless we were at least a little presentable.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:06 PM

I say just make sure you have confortable shoes and your dog is clean.
At an AKC Obed. trial I saw a handler with a westie that looked like it rolled in mud on the way to the ring. Stand for exam was an exersize that was done in this class, the judge really didn't want to touch this dog but she had to, she ended up taking a quick break after the dog to wash her hands. I know some performance people don't think it's nessary to groom their dogs but it's better to have your dog looking their best and make a good impression.

Judy Sheaffer
Reba CD TDI Rescue / Bridge
Caramist Ramblin Red Sage UD CGC / Bridge
PAM Alkarah's Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE PT MXP AJP OFP TC / Bridge
Kenlyn's Red Hot Chili Pepper CD RA NA NJ NF
Kaleef Monarch's Thunderstruck
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

dress in what you are comfortable in. In AKC, the norm I usually see is "casual Friday at the office" level. Nothing wrong with nice jeans and a blouse or even a plain t-shirt.
Conformation is much more formal, of course. And in agility you often see people in yoga pants.

UKC is much more casual in all aspects, especially the conformation ring. You might see someone come straight in from a herding event to the conformation ring, complete with muddy boots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page