Excited for rally, some ?s - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Excited for rally, some ?s

Okay I am officially excited. I watched some videos of rally novice. I could totally do this with my old girl. I expect she will lose epic points for sloppiness because I have never really demanded a ton of precision while we were playing and I am not sure how much I can change that at her age....we will see. Like I said, if she has fun that's good enough.

I also think this might be a great way to keep my pup out mingling with the public since he is currently shelved from service dog training.

My husband and I are in the process of buying a little camper and even he got on board with the idea of driving the dogs around to the rally trials, there are a handful I under a 2 hr drive.

1. I have seen conflicting info on whether you are allowed to have food in the ring? I understand no luring but can you reward w/food?

2. Do you lose points if your dog sniffs the ground?

3. Do you think it is possible to prepare adequately without a class or training group? As far as I can tell there isn't one arou d here My pup has and is continuing to attend group training classes, but not for rally. The older one has been out in public working her whole life....hasn't been to a group dog class since she was a yr old. She gets significantly more "sniffy" in doggy locations. I was thinking I could subtely practice some exercises at Petco and TSC in order to do something outside home?

I guess if we fail miserably at our first one because we've never done it before oh well...I will just try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Okay I am officially excited. I watched some videos of rally novice. I could totally do this with my old girl. I expect she will lose epic points for sloppiness because I have never really demanded a ton of precision while we were playing and I am not sure how much I can change that at her age....we will see. Like I said, if she has fun that's good enough.

I also think this might be a great way to keep my pup out mingling with the public since he is currently shelved from service dog training.

My husband and I are in the process of buying a little camper and even he got on board with the idea of driving the dogs around to the rally trials, there are a handful I under a 2 hr drive.

1. I have seen conflicting info on whether you are allowed to have food in the ring? I understand no luring but can you reward w/food?

2. Do you lose points if your dog sniffs the ground?

3. Do you think it is possible to prepare adequately without a class or training group? As far as I can tell there isn't one arou d here My pup has and is continuing to attend group training classes, but not for rally. The older one has been out in public working her whole life....hasn't been to a group dog class since she was a yr old. She gets significantly more "sniffy" in doggy locations. I was thinking I could subtely practice some exercises at Petco and TSC in order to do something outside home?

I guess if we fail miserably at our first one because we've never done it before oh well...I will just try again.
Rally is pretty lax .

No food in the ring.

In novice the leash has to be loose so if she sniffs and pulls and leash goes tight its a point each time and you can DQ'ed due to consistently tight... However, lack of briskness may get you as well.

I didn't take a class and it was fine for RN we Q and placed 1st for each leg going for RA soon as well. I did, however, speak with a few rally judge's for clarifications on some of the signs. Other than that it was an AKC trial so those are always entertaining Enjoy!

Enzo v TeMar
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 09:24 AM

You can download the rally rules from the AKC website.It's very thorough,explains every aspect of rally and with pictures and explanations of the signage.Sorry can't seem to link today!
You can print out or make your own signs and set up practice courses at home.There are tons of practice courses on Pinterest.Yeah,no food or toys in the ring.The courses only take a minute or so to run so treats wait until after.But you can talk,encourage,praise and give multiple commands.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Okay I think I am confused between cynosport rally and AKC rally. Cynosport allows food, AKC not?

The trials I found are on cynosport website which I assume means they are not AKC....?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Do you get a title from cynosport?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Do you get a title from cynosport?
Sorry,I'm not familiar with consort.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Knighted Member

Rules vary between organizations. Read the rules of the organization's rules very carefully.

Up here there is no food allowed in CKC rally at all. In CARO rally you are allowed to carry food and treat at specific stations. Judging differs as well. I've seen some pretty sloppy work get a qualifying score in CKC but CARO judges are pretty strict.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:46 AM

In WCRL (Cynosport) you CAN have food in the ring (not in a pouch or your hands, but in a pocket). You can even reward after stationary exercises (each exercise states if it's considered stationary or not) in trial!! There are titles in WCRL just like in AKC, it's just a different venue so the titles don't overlap (if you get Level 1 in WCRL, that doesn't transfer to a Novice title in AKC).

Kit Kat, CGC RATI RATN - GSD, DOB 12/09/15
Red XIII, CGC - ~4 y/o GSD mix - stray/feral

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Willie - 14.75 y/o Border Collie mix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daisy - 18 y/o orange DLH kitty
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Squeetie. WCRL is the one that has a easier veteran's class too if I'm not mistaken? That seems like the best place to start for us.

Do you know if the exercises are the same in WCRL and AKC Rally? I was wondering about starting in WCRL, esp since you can use food in the ring, and then later trying AKC once we have a little more experience? Would I have to relearn anything or would it transfer pretty easy minus the food?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 12:33 PM

Yes, WCRL has a Veteran's class and you can file before a trial for modification of an exercise if your dog requires it (not sure the process, but I know you can do it).

There are quite a few exercises that are the same in WCRL and AKC - some are in different levels, depending on the venue, but most are the same, or at least very similar. I'm not sure which ones are exclusive to each venue, but I think there are a couple. The hardest transition from WCRL to AKC will be for you! The signs look different, even if the exercise is the same. It will just be a little studying of the signs on your part if you want to compete in both.

Kit Kat, CGC RATI RATN - GSD, DOB 12/09/15
Red XIII, CGC - ~4 y/o GSD mix - stray/feral

Willie - 14.75 y/o Border Collie mix

Daisy - 18 y/o orange DLH kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page