Rally a good hobby for an old lady? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Rally a good hobby for an old lady?

Hi guys,

I have a 9.5 y/o GSD who is in tbe process of retiring for being a medical service dog. Sometimes I notice she seems depressed when she doesn't work. We have alwaysplayed at obedience for fun.

I am wondering if it might be fun for her to do Rallyas a hobby? It does not look that physically challenging forthe dog, correct? Her jumping days are over. Any thoughts?

And can you compete 2 dogs in one event?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 03:57 PM

Rally isn't physically stressful at all.The highest jump (advanced and excellent only) is 16 inches.You can compete with 2 dogs in the same trial if you'd like.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Crowned Member

Yes^^^ what Dogma said. Shouldn't be a problem with a healthy older dog.

ETA, how are her hips and elbows? Rally is easy, but there's still a fair amount of repetition/up &down.

Last edited by Nigel; 04-07-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Knighted Member

I haven't tried rally but I did take my 9 yr old to Nosework classes last year. It's a lot of fun.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 04:22 PM

I can vouch for Rally AND Nose Work that Mayzie mentioned. Rally is good if she's not too stiff for multiple sits/downs. As dogma said, the jump isn't very high and isn't until Level 2 in WCRL (not sure about AKC). Rally has helped my fearful boy learn to focus on me even when there are people in the hallway - he'd rather do the super fun exercises than worry about those scary people walking by. Nose Work is also a great low-impact sport and is awesome for seniors. My guy (the same fearful one) LOVES it - once he knows he's there for sniffy games, he is much less nervous in public places. He's also zonked after a NW class because sniffing is hard work!

Kit Kat, CGC RATI RATN - GSD, DOB 12/09/15
Red XIII, CGC - ~4 y/o GSD mix - stray/feral

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Willie - 14.75 y/o Border Collie mix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daisy - 18 y/o orange DLH kitty
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We would be more than happy to not do higher levels.

She is OFA Excellent hips, normal elbows, multiple sits and downs no prob for her. She gets excited about stuff and would probably jump like a two year old in the moment and then regret it later. She cannot take her carprofen anymore due to ulcers, so I only want to do low impact.

Most of the time she moves like a dog half her age, except when she forgets she is an old lady and does 2 y/o things and then she will be creaky. Well, she sometimes looks a little creaky at night. But I would say musculoskeletally, she is in great shape for her age.

I just need to keep her spirits up but must leave her home while I learn to cope without her in everyday life.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Plus I think this might be fun for the pup and if I were going to travel to an event I would want to take both
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 04:54 PM

Then yes yes yes!! Rally would be awesome for her and I bet she'd loooove it. It is super fun and much more relaxed than traditional obedience. The emphasis is more on the relationship with your dog than exact perfect correct position (I mean, they still have to be in position, but not as precisely).

Kit Kat, CGC RATI RATN - GSD, DOB 12/09/15
Red XIII, CGC - ~4 y/o GSD mix - stray/feral

Willie - 14.75 y/o Border Collie mix

Daisy - 18 y/o orange DLH kitty
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Squeetie, that's good because fun is all we're after. I wouldn't mind pushing the pup but just want my old gal to keep her spark and this is a hard transition for both of us. I feel it would help her feel like she isn't "losing me"...or she is still important, or something.

I wouldn't care if our scores were dismal if she enjoyed herself....

She has served me day and night her whole life. I owe her everything
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh but, what happens if the dog talks during competition lol? She might sing, shreik, back sass....bad habit of hers I never broke because sbe is quiet while working and only carries on when she "plays".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page