Lefts - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Lefts

Bob and I have taken up Rally and he's doing great!
But we need to work on our lefts as they are a little sloppy, any tips on getting him in nice and close on them?

Candice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:07 PM

We're doing rally too!I taught a "go left" cue with a treat in my left hand close to his nose.He follows his nose and gets the treat after the turn.Eliminated the treat and he habituated to following my hand,and then just the " go left".I do lean my shoulder a little as I give the cue so that is probably a cue too.

Samson is great at it,me not so much,lol!For some reason the 270* turns make me dizzy

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Crowned Member

The dog is watching your body language. As you turn iwth your left foot, drop your shoulder. Do this stationary to start until it's second nature for you.

Once the dog is turning on your shoulder and foot, the as you turn your left foot, bring your right foot even with it and shift your weight to your right foot. You can't help but do so because it brings your body back even from dipping your shoulder AND it gives the dog a chance to finish his swing. Then off you go!

Try it in front of a mirror

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Elite Member

I just wanted to say that Asher and I are trying rally, too. We've only had two classes (attending our 3rd tonight), so I don't have any tips. But I'm following the thread with interest! So far, Asher is better than his handler.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:08 PM

Tight circle to the left. Start at a comfortable ready heal and keep decreasing the size of your circle till Bob is turning left virtually at the point he started at, around and around. Over and over. Lead with one foot or the other [prefer left]. Your body language is the signal, use the same motion every time. Move quickly at first, keep him focused so Bob doesn't have a chance to change the rhythm. Have fun.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
I just wanted to say that Asher and I are trying rally, too. We've only had two classes (attending our 3rd tonight), so I don't have any tips. But I'm following the thread with interest! So far, Asher is better than his handler.
Lol,they are so much better than us!We had our third class Mon.
One thing I thought would be difficult is the left about turn #28.I gave the same hand signal as a finish right and he whipped around me like he'd done it a million times.Our dogs are awesome

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:43 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Look up "Perch Training" to teach him to swing his butt around when you do left turns - it will help tighten things up.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 03:32 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Look up "Perch Training" to teach him to swing his butt around when you do left turns - it will help tighten things up.
Found some videos on youtube. Very cool. We will try that. They make it look easy. Lol.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks everyone! That's a lot of great advice!

We are having so much fun with it. Between his rally and Wile E's agility we are busy busy busy! Which is EXACTLY what these two need.

I'm going to try those tips, we have no class this week with the holiday but next Sunday I'll see if I can get some videos of his progress!

Candice
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 02:25 AM

I am new to this board and new to rally! I signed my boy up for his first competition on Sunday. AKC rally novice A.
I have been scouring the internet for videos/tips. We have been practicing quite a bit so hopefully the distractions of the show don't overwhelm him!
We are planning on arriving early and letting him observe from afar then will crate him until just before he shows.
As far as the lefts, that is something we have struggled with. I just started working him on a book (front paws up) and just moving his back paws to re-position himself every time i move. He does well I just don't know how polished it will look prior to Sunday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page