Leontine's first trial is coming up - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Leontine's first trial is coming up

Well, I guess there is no getting out of it now. The check has been cashed, the judging schedule is set, and I'm having a serious case of nerves. It's not like I've never had my dog NQ, or act like a fool (I showed Ilka, for Pete's sake), but Im still going "Are you CRAZY? Why did you enter her in a trial? Neither of us is ready! We'll NEVER be ready!" I've hardly trained at all this week, and the trial is on November 2nd, so that leaves us two weeks for training, and this girl can't seem to do a "front" to save her life.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Elite Member

Good luck!!

Even if you don't feel ready, honestly, it's not a big deal! If not this time, the experience will help you both get ready for the next one. Just go in there with the attitude that it's a (hard) practice run, if that helps.

So I tell myself, anyway. Sometimes it works.

But yeah, we're right there with you. Pongu's doing his first Novice obedience match tomorrow morning, and then our first actual trial is next Saturday (CDSP, not AKC -- easier in some ways, harder in others). I already entered us for another trial two weeks after that, because I'm so completely certain that we'll need at LEAST five tries to pick up our three Novice legs that I figured I might as well just go ahead and sign up for 'em all before we even do our first practice match. OPTIMISM.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Crowned Member

Good luck! Don't let your nerves get to you, no big deal. Get what practice you can between now and then and just go do it, you'll be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Good luck and have fun!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Oh, I'm sure once we get in the ring, I'll be fine. It's just the "OMG, what have you done?!" panic at the moment.

Merciel, you're so lucky to have so many different venues to trial in. Down here, it's pretty much AKC or nothing. There might be some UKC or ASCA trials, but they are few and far between. There are also very few matches and/or show and goes/run throughs to get some experience.

Of course, if I waited until we were "ready", we'd never set foot in the ring at all.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM

Have fun! I feel your pain, we are doing the same thing, and I know we are not ready, but I want to get the experiences under our belt. Someday we will be ready, so its important to prepare for that! :-)

~ ~ ~ Melissa, Emme (A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!), and 4 Cats ~ ~ ~
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 PM

I totally understand what you are going through. My puppy is 5 months old and I can't trial her until next year after she turns 9 months old and since the day I got her I have been freaking out about entering and not being perfect. I really hate it and just want to get it over with to stop feeling this way and at the same time I am thinking that maybe it's best if I just not compete in this sport at all. You know, in case we're not perfect when the time comes...

Good luck in the trial!

Tosca - born 30th May 2013

RIP Bella - 14th Dec 09 - 10th Sept 13 - Border Terrier
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Elite Member

Like I tell my daughter before her and Nita go in the ring, Have Fun

~ Dori ~

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian
Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Well, she finally seems to remember what the heck "Front" means. She still blows by me at times, but is better than she was a week ago. As long as she comes, and then parks her fluffy little hiney somewhere in the vicinity of "front" on the recall, I'll be happy.

Also, let's hope she doesn't decide to pull Ilka's trick of coming in at top speed, then jumping up and body slamming me instead of sitting. I'd come home from trials with bruises, and she nearly knocked me over more than once.

Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Sigh..... Let's just say that the two good things about today are that Leo seemed to have fun, and that it is over. She acted like she'd never heard the word "heel" in her life, and was generally being silly. We NQed on both classes. The fact that I went around the wrong cone on the figure 8 for an IP in Rally didn't help matters.

Back to training for the next trial, and hope for her brain to be delivered before then. I planned on entering her in some trials in January, but now I'm not so sure. I may wait until May (Gonzales, LA), or possibly even June (same club that is holding the January trials).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page