Dogs vs Bitches in obedience? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Location: From England but have been living in New Zealand for 10 years
Dogs vs Bitches in obedience?

I have only ever worked bitches, never had a superstar, just played at local sows etc.. In general (and I know there are exceptions to every rule) do dogs or bitches work better at obedience, or is there no difference?

"Norah" GSD 18/09/12
"Bismarck" GSD 02/09/14
"Isis", horse 5 years
"Minty" pony 32 years
"Comrie" and "Mouse" cats 9 and 4 years

"Red" Dobie 27/05/10 - 31/10/15
"Oscar" Dalmatian 02/02/02 - 16/03/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 03:02 AM
Elite Member

I don't think it makes a difference. I've seen males and females turn in spectacular performances and I've seen them both crash and burn in the ring. I have never noticed any consistent, patterned differences in their overall performances.

Breed makes a difference, line makes a difference. Gender in and of itself doesn't matter except that if you have an intact female, you may miss out on trial opportunities if your dog goes into heat, and of course if you breed the female, you'll lose time to pregnancy and puppy-raising.

...well, that and I've had Crookytail get NQ'ed a couple of times for marking in the ring (what can I say, he seemed to think Rally signs existed to be peed upon), which I guess he probably wouldn't have done if he were female. But that's mostly just about Crookytail being obsessed with peeing on things.

I'd just pick whichever one you personally enjoy more.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Banned

if you're talking about GSD's working lines or show lines can
excell in OB. i think how a dog performs greatly depends upon
who does the training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciel View Post
I don't think it makes a difference. I've seen males and females turn in spectacular performances and I've seen them both crash and burn in the ring. I have never noticed any consistent, patterned differences in their overall performances.

>>>>> Breed makes a difference, line makes a difference. <<<<<

Gender in and of itself doesn't matter except that if you have an intact female, you may miss out on trial opportunities if your dog goes into heat, and of course if you breed the female, you'll lose time to pregnancy and puppy-raising.

...well, that and I've had Crookytail get NQ'ed a couple of times for marking in the ring (what can I say, he seemed to think Rally signs existed to be peed upon), which I guess he probably wouldn't have done if he were female. But that's mostly just about Crookytail being obsessed with peeing on things.

I'd just pick whichever one you personally enjoy more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Elite Member

No, sorry, I should have phrased that more clearly, on this board particularly.

I meant family line, not working line vs. show line. Like there are some lines of Golden Retrievers I've seen, with multiple UD/UDX/OTCH ancestors and siblings in the family tree, who are practically born with a dumbbell in their mouths. Then there are other dogs who need a ton of coaxing and weird dumbbell shapes to even put their noses anywhere near the bit (like, oh, Pongu).

I've seen lines of border collies who get so excited that they start barking in the ring to the point where they get NQ'ed -- and it's a family thing, not specific to any one dog. Other BCs don't have that issue. It's not a breed predisposition, it's just that one specific line.

If you really want to do obedience at a serious level, it's important to pick a dog from a family that exhibits the traits you need to do well in competition.

If you just want to have some fun in the ring and not consign yourself to a perpetual cycle of Sisyphean frustration, it still helps to pick a dog from lines that aren't rife with problems. Take my word on this one.

But either way the dog's gender is a minor minor tiny consideration, although I have heard anecdotally that there are some family trees where there is a bigger split in the personalities of the boys vs. girls. Your dog's specific lineage -- breed and family line -- will make a much bigger difference than its gender.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Location: From England but have been living in New Zealand for 10 years
Thanks for the replies, makes sense

"Norah" GSD 18/09/12
"Bismarck" GSD 02/09/14
"Isis", horse 5 years
"Minty" pony 32 years
"Comrie" and "Mouse" cats 9 and 4 years

"Red" Dobie 27/05/10 - 31/10/15
"Oscar" Dalmatian 02/02/02 - 16/03/12
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Crowned Member

generally speaking, bitches "get their brains" a little younger than males. They tend to mature a little faster and not act goofy for as long. So, that can factor into how easily it is to title a dog.
But, those are just generalizations and have nothing to do with how well the dog will do in obedience overall.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Elite Member

Limited experience on males from me, but coincidentally my females prefer to work for praise and petting and my males prefer to work for cold, hard doggy cash (treats/toy). My females 'remember' corrections better and a verbal usually works to get them where they need to be. My males have been stubborn; if there's a smelly smell that smells on the ground and it's interesting enough it will take quite a correction to get their head back up and on track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page